Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland / FLW predictions

Who do you think will win this tournament? It would be awesome to see one of the locals win!!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Cumberland / FLW predictions

My prediction for a four day total weight would be....46lbs 3oz

To make the cut I think it will take right around 30 lbs, give or take.

Theres my guess, average of 11 1/2 pounds a day. Seems like practice was tough for the guys, it will be very interesting to see how they do on Cumberland.

Uh oh! Fog delay

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna be tough for alot of the big boys. Welcome to the big C fellows it humbles even the best at times. I wonder how many are gonna make the long run from Burnside to the west end? The big smallies are in a very pirsnictity mood right now, it's gonna be interesting indeed. Spots and largejaws may very well win this thing. I hope one of the local boys wins.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope to see one of the locals win too! but i think that the total weights of all 4 days are going to be lower than everybody thinks there will be. Of course there will be some bigs sacks but fish dont bite two days in a row on cumberland!

Post Thanks / Like

>I hope to see one of
    >the locals win too! but
    >i think that the total
    >weights of all 4 days
    >are going to be lower
    >than everybody thinks there will
    >be. Of course there will
    >be some bigs sacks but
    >fish dont bite two days
    >in a row on cumberland!
    >

Oh you are so right. I have fished all over and since I was old enough to walk, and never have I seen a lake change patterns any more quickly or drastically then Cumberland. It never seems to amaze me how this happens. I had a couple of days earlier this year on a Wed. and Thurs. middle of the week deal. Wednesday was a struggle, caught several Kentucks but nothing to brag about at all. Thursday next day changed areas just a bit but continued to do what I thought should work and totally destroyed them. Would have had 20 lbs. for best five and mostly smallmouth. Had a 5.2,4.2,4.0,3.0, and lots of others just under 18 inches including some dandy spots to add to the fun. Had another 20 incher brown fish get off on the way to the boat. Point is about the time you think ya got something figured out down there you get reminded you don't real quick sometimes. Tight lines Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

some of the local boys are having trouble catching some of the better brown fish. but hopefully that will all change with the cloud cover comin in today! also a whole day a fishing will help too, the fog delay didn't help any yesterday! so hopefully the more of the locals will be up there in the rankings!

Post Thanks / Like

It will be interesting to see how everyone does today with what should be better conditions for them ole brown fish plus a longer fishing day. Pretty good day on day one considering the fog delay, long run and a short fishing day. Some of these guys only fished a few hours. As you can see though the Big C humbled some really good fisherman including several big boys. I really hope one of the "really local boys" from the Somerset area like Rusty Smith comes to the scales with a huge sack today. It wouldn't suprise me a bite to see a 20-24lb+ sack of them ole brown fish. Interesting too that nobody seemed to nail the largemouths but maybe that will change today too.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone have information on where they are fishing? Up the lower or upper arms? Wolf or Beaver creek? Main lake points....what sections?

I have been curious about this all day yesterday. Wish I was in town so I could go down and follow some of them. I am stuck in TX for the next 3 weeks.

cya

Post Thanks / Like

That bites being stuck in Texas. I surely hope your not stuck fishing Rayburn, Amistad, Cypress, Fork, Placid,Texoma, or Toledo Bend! My sypmathy to you. Haha

Don Smith Guest

Cumberland is TOUGH righ now to say the least. Largemouth bite on the lower end of the lake must be tough. Here is a short journal of my experience in my first FLW as a co-angler. In the first 2 days of the tournament, I've drawn out with pro's that were bed fishing the lower end of the lake. And I knew what to expect, and wasn't looking forward to it at all. Most of these guys found some big sacks of fish on the bed 2 weeks ago during practice, and most were gone when they got back. Best I can tell from observing (which is what your basically doing when you get a draw and the boater is bed fishing) is that most of the largemouth have laid out, or the water has came up about 3 feet since practice. These fish are very hard to see, and virtually impossible to catch. The guys catching them sight fishing have their game on for sure. I got a few lessons in bed fishing, and the main one that I learned is when the fish are hard to catch, its better to look for another one, or go to plan B, or C, or just go fishing, lol. Most of the spotted bass that my pro's had located were spookey, left the nest, or they just couldn't get them mad enough to bite at all.

My day 1 partner was Curt McGuire, and he had some real nice spots located. Just couldn't get them to bite at all. He fished about 5 different places, and didn't look for any other fish. So that basically means I had 5 areas to fish on day 1, and what I could cast too was about it. One of the areas had submerged bushes, and thats my game. I scrambled to get my flipping stick, and first cast I really wasn't paying attention till I saw about a 2 pound spot roll over in the bush. I had no idea the fish had eaten my jig, I quickly pulled up the slack just in time to have her blow it out. My luck, lol. Maybe this isn't my game after all.

I couldn't get her to bite again, but did manage to get a 12" spot out of another small laydown that was in about 6 feet of water. Never been so glad to set the hook in my life! Didn't kiss it or anything, but it sure felt good to be on the board.

When Curt said we were headed to the point just ahead to see if a largemouth he had found was still bedded in front of a submerged bush, I noticed a small sycamore tree on the other side of the pocket half submerged. I managed to get the jig into the tree, and fed it line as the boat gained speed. When I picked it up, it was tight, but with the boat moving what do you do? When I say moving, I mean 36Volt 100% hold on moving, lol!

Is that a fish?

I managed somehow to get about a 2 1/2 pound spot semi-hooked in that tree, and she came off as I tried to pull her out. Nothing I could do, everything happened so quickly I just didn't have time to think. Didn't feel her bite, and basically never even set the hook. That one hurt my feelings to say the least, lol.

That was about it for day 1, and my boated ended up with 1 good spot, I ended up with a 12" fish weighing in at a whopping 1 lbs 5 oz.

Now all of this observing really has me wishing I could draw out someone who is catching fish the way I caught fish during the 4 days of practice. And when my day 2 partner Mike Hicks told me we were headed down, and he was bed fishing, I thought I would cry, lol.

So off to the races we go, 70 miles down the lake. He has 2 fish located in a pocket, and I can only fish behind the boat while he fishes for them. His boat is right against the bank, the only place he can be too see this fish. I actually don't mind, there is a laydown in reach, a shelf off of a the wall about 6 feet deep, so I'm fishing. Broke off 3 or 4 jigs, hung 3 or 4 floating worms in the trees, lost 2 spot removers, yea, its going to be a good day, lol.

Fished the same area over and over for about 45 min, then decided to just to once again be an observer.

Mike fished for that 3 lbs spot for the first hour, then decided to try the 2nd spot located just ahead, and after watching him fish for this fish, I knew I couldn't make her bite either, but he said have at it.

Not a very good bed fisherman when there not locked on tight, so that went just as I expected. He foul hooks his other fish by accident, quickly throws it back and said lets just go fishing. Best thing I have heard in 2 days!

Fished a shakey head jig, and floating worm for aobut an hour without a bite. I asked him around 11:30 if he would be willing to fish for the fish I had found on Monday. Much to my surprise, he said lets go.

After a long run, and lots of zig zagging around floating logs, we arrived, and the fishing was tougher, but much better than the clear water for me. I managed to catch my limit for the day (1 fish, lol) and he managed 2 nice keeper LM, and lost a good fish. All this in a couple of hours, so my pattern is still working, but slow. I had 2 other bites, and had one of them on for a few seconds, but just came undone. Was a nice fish, and would have helped me quite a bit.

My fish weighs 1 lbs 5 oz again, so I have a grand total of 2 lbs 10 oz for 2 days. The sunburn was thrown in for free!

My day 3 Pro is Rock Monteith, from Columbia SC. Being from SC, I figured we were headed down the lake to fish for bed fish tomorrow, but he explained that he wasn't catching any fish, and his engine is acting up. Going to have to stay near the ramp tomorrow, and I'm tickled pink. I have quiet a few areas near Burnside that I fish on a regular basis, and should hold fish. Most on that end are off the bed, so thats a plus.

I fished 2 spots near the launching ramp last Saturday, and had about 12 lbs on one of them in about an hour. So if they are still there I might be able to catch a couple. I feel I only need about 4 lbs to secure a check, and a miracle 16 lbs to win, lol.

Fishing is tough to say the least. I'll just be glad to go fishing, and have a full 8 hours of opportunity.

I really enjoyed my day on the water today, Mike is a good fisherman, and geat to talk too. Curt is also a great guy, but with him having all of his fish located, and fishing only for bed fish, its a tough day for anyone in the back of the boat.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Who knows, miracles have happened before! Its only 5 bites right!

I'll post again after this weeekend, Co-Anglers are finished tomorrow, but Saturday I think I'll head down to Dale.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-05-06 AT 06:03AM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-05-06 AT 06:02*AM (EST)[/font]

Don, I hope you get them today. I knew it was gonna be tough for alot of fellas this week. When you see names like Larry Nixon with one and two weighed fish in two days of fishing you know it's TOUGH. Fishing from the back can be fun but if it doesn't suit your style or the guy in the front sits on one bed fish for a half a day, a good nap in the shade comes to mind. Hang in there and who knows, a couple of big bites might get you a check, good luck and tight lines, Mark.

Post Thanks / Like

Alot of the pros are finding out that a ranger boat cant hold up to a twenty pound floting log. there was alot of pros that messed up their boats yesterday. Larry Nixon and rusty smith came to the weigh in with no lower unit. so these guys are finally figuring out that you can run 70 mph this time of year!