Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Spinning Equipment

I need an new Spinning setup. Any recamidations?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Spinning Equipment

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON May-24-06 AT 08:48PM (EST)[/font][p]Shimano reels---can't go wrong. I bought some Shimano Sahara's 2500 FB for $59.95 at Bass Pro and they have performed awesomely. Probably one of the best spinning reels for the money I have ever owned. With Shimano you can spend anywhere from around $15 to probably over $300 for a spinning reels. I feel the mid to less then mid price reels are great. Rods----there are way too many too list. I like St.Croix,Shimano,and Bass Pro to name a few. Guess it kind of depends on what you will be using the spinning set-up for?

Post Thanks / Like

Ive got a Shimano reel right now. It was smooth for the first year. But now its ruff when you reel in the line. Mabey I will try Oil!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Like MarkW said, Shimano is very hard to beat in the spinning reel department. I have had $15 Shimano's and fought countless fish including 10-15 lbs stripers and they lasted for years and this was a reel with no ball bearings (just bushings). As you go up the Shimano line they get smoother and more dependable but even the cheap ones are great. You can get a lemon in anything though but I never have. As far as rods go I fish long rods (6'-7') with a good backbone but a soft tip. The long rod and soft tip will cast a small lure so much better than a shorter rod. Most of mine are 7' or longer. Now if your creek fishing the long rod will mess you up with the over hanging limbs. As far as brand name on a rod goes there are alot of good spinning rods out there. Make sure not to get one not too stiff but one that has some back bone. Make sure the lure and line weight on the rod match what you are using. If you are casting 1/8 to 1/4 lures on 8 lbs line which is normal for a spinning reel make sure the rod is made for that size bait and line. Thats all I know to tell you, best to buy from a place with an easy return policy in case you don't like it. If you order rods the shipping is high and you have to pay to ship it back it you don't like it. Best to buy where you can get your hand on it and see if you like the feel of the outfit. Best of luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to mention Lamiglas rods. I bought a 6' medium spinning rod from Bullfrog Creek in Louisville and I really like it. It's the first one I ever owned and it's a good one.

Post Thanks / Like

Daiwa is by far the best spinning reel made, better drags just overall better reels, I used to use Shimano years ago but once you go with a good daiwa reel you won't go back, if you do get one, get one with the front drag.

Post Thanks / Like

I own 4 Shimano Sustains and wouldnt trade them for anything. On the upper end of the scale..8 lb test will produce more fish than 17 lb test....I always fish the ferry wand.

Post Thanks / Like

I like Shimano Symetre for everything except cranking. For crankbaits I like the Spirex because of the trigger and fast casting. Spirex doesn't have instant anti-lock reverse but for cranking I don't need it. I couldn't be more please with either of these reels. Smooth drags, lightweight, durable. Nothing but good to say about them.

Post Thanks / Like

Shimano reels, without question for either spinning or baitcasting. I just recently upgraded one of my spinning reels to a Shimano Twinpower 2500 Japanese version close to Stella and surpasses the Sustain. All I can say is WOW!

G.Loomis Rods. On my Twinpower I have a Bronzeback. Love it!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a Diawa but put it on Ebay. Just didn't feel good in my hands. Lot's of people still swear by the old ss model but I just didn't like it. Personal preference. I have owned I Quantum that started making noise after a few months but still works. I'm sure Diawa makes a good reel just see what feels right to you. It sure looks like Shimano has the votes so far though. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I have had Quantums do the same thing. I choose to stick with Shimano.

Post Thanks / Like

My favorite has become Pflueger for spinning, getting ready to try their President baitcaster. I needed a cheaper spinning reel ($40-50) for creeks and ponds but it was so nice it ended up on the boat.
    I can destroy a rod easier than anything so I stay under a $100 for those. Out of all the ones I have bought I like Bass Pro Shops 'Bionic' series.