Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

BARKLEY THIS WEEK END

I'm going to Barkley Saturday have not been yet this year. Is there fish to be caught on the bank,I hate fishing ledges. I need to have something to throw at (the bank or a stick up)

Post Thanks / Like

RE: BARKLEY THIS WEEK END

I posted a report earlier... it was titled KY and Barkley lakes. I hope it helps.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Decker, I can't find that report, I guess it got deleted someway.

Anyway, we fished a small tourney on Saturday. We started shallow early in flooded vegetation. We caught some small fish on horny toads and a chatterbait. I got a couple of hits on a buzz bait, but no hook ups. We then went to fish drops. We caught a bunch more short fish, but no keepers. The bite stopped around 10:30 am or so.

The water was very dark, but you could see about 12 inches, maybe 8 deep. the temps ranged from mid 70's to low 80's.

The pleasure boaters got crazy around 12 pm, and even had some of them deliberately running over the area we were fishing. Just fortunately I noticed them in mid cast, and was able to stop my cast and not hit the little girl who was riding the tube her "relative" was pulling.

There was no current at all. We were marking fish on the main lake drops, but don't know what they were. We caught one small LM, and that was it from the main lake.

If I had a choice, I'd take KY lake over Barkley right now. That's because we were catching fish on KY last thursday in bays off points, in grass beds. We were pulling CRs through the grass, and when we hit hard cover or bottom, we would get our bites. Not everytime, but enough that it was like we left them biting.

Good luck,

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Your report was not deleted Danny..it is on page 2.

Post Thanks / Like

DSPCHAMY (17 posts)
    May-22-06, 10:26 PM (EST)
    2. "RE: Barkley Lake Conditions"
    I was down there a few weeks ago and had great luck on the south side of denumbers working from the tree on the outside the lake around the rock point back into the cove. We caugt over 50 fish in that couple humdred yard strech on wiggle warts. The fish ranged in size from small to two that were right at 5lbs. Two smallies came off the boulders neither of any size.
    Hope that helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you would have been any better off on KY this weekend. I fished every day including this morning and the pleasure boaters had the big pond all churned up. Finally caught a few decent fish this mornig around Moors and back in bear creek but it was a challenge. The only action until this morning was a couple very large Garr that took both my new chatterbaits in Duncan creek.To add insult to injury had to battle big storms all the way back to Louisville.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave,

I saw that one, but I thought I had posted one about this past Saturday too. Heck, maybe my head is just empty from not fishing..LOL

Maybe I just dreamed I made that post.

Thanks again,

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Aren't those chatterbaits fun to fish with? I love them.

Glad you caught some decent fish, and as for the gar, they are excellent fighters. I love catching them, and often consider targeting them.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

I had trouble patterning the bass on Barkley too last week end. I didn't have much luck shallow, in between, or on the ledges. I spent most of my time fishing deeper but only picked up a few. Post spawn, memorial day boat traffic, and a hot, blue, high pressure can make for tough bass fishing. At least the channel cats cooperated!

kc

Post Thanks / Like

THANKS DANNY

Thanks for the info. I really like Duncan that's probably where I'll head first. Maybe the other big bay up the lake from there.

Post Thanks / Like

I stuck one garr that had to be absolutely huge. Ran under the boat stripping line (drag) and all I could do is hang on for the ride until my line finally broke. I thought at first it was a big drum until I saw the profile and it was definitely a garr.I have had some decent luck with the chatterbait on KY lake but only in the green pumpkin color. Not a single strike on white or black/blue.

Post Thanks / Like

The fishing was great this weekend fished the FOUR Rivers Church Tournament no entry fee paid $3000.00 for 1st 23 and change $1500.00 for 2nd 22 and change 500.00 for 3rd 18.20 $300.00 for 4th 17.87 ninth place money took 16 and change. this tournament was out of Lyon Co ramp at Kuttawa