Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering/Legal question

If you catch a LEGAL 10 inch smallmouth in Elkhorn creek, and want to put it in a fish tank, but for some reason are "caught" with this fish later(in your tank), can KDFWR ticket you?

And for all you purists, don't go balistic, this is purely a hypothetical question. How could you prove that you caught the fish legally (in Elkhorn), instead of illegally somewhere else?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Just wondering/Legal question

smallmouth hae to 12in

Post Thanks / Like

Ron1 - question for you

Legal or not, why in the world would you want to keep a 10" smallmouth? If you fishing for food, there are plenty of 10" blugill our there and they taste a lot better.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron1, What ever the state limit in your county you live in where the fish is in your possesion at the time you are questioned. But if you thinking of keeping a smallmouth in a tank, it will be very hard to keep it alive, as they need fresh flowing water and cool temps. Bluegill make great tank fish...good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-25-06 AT 09:30PM (EST)[/font][p]If you have a fish in a tank and it is not of legal size you can get a ticket.

If the fish grows to be legal size before being caught by KDWFR, then you are ok.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you have to get a special permit to keep a game fish in a tank, unless they have changed the law. It does not matter what size it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Slot limit on the Elkhron is 12-16...You can keep your creel limit for anything under 12(not including) and 2 over 16(not including) if you desire...All the others(12-16) will be turned loose. If any of us catch your taking illegal fish we will report and won't think twice about it.

Billy

Redneckshadrap
    www.thecreekbank.com
    redneckshadrap@insightbb.com

Post Thanks / Like

Why so threatening? The guy just asked about a legal to keep 10 inch fish. Now, I do not know about the legality of keeping it in a tank, but you just seem to want to stir up a problem with the tone of your response. James.

Post Thanks / Like

James,
    Not trying to stir or threaten. Just stating the "fact". You can keep fish under 12 inches in Elkhorn Creek. But that is a good question of getting caught with one at your home.

Redneckshadrap
    www.thecreekbank.com

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-06 AT 01:35PM (EST)[/font][p]I am not sure about now, but at one time you had to have a permit to keep any wildlife. A friend of mine use to keep a lot of large fish tanks. He had one that he established and he called it his KENTUCKY TANK. He kept several different types of fish he had caught himself in it. This tank was huge, I do not remember it seems like it was a 200 gallon. It had a smallmouth in it, he had that fish for several years, until he turned it loose. I remember he also had to obtain a permit from the state to have the fish in the tank. I do not if you can or still have to get the permit but a one time you had too, according to him.

Post Thanks / Like

They "tank" fish out at the Hatchery in the info center. But that's out there...

I tried to call and ask but got a voice message..

Billy

Redneckshadrap
    www.thecreekbank.com

Post Thanks / Like

OK guys, remember this was a completely HYPOTHETICAL QUESTION for those of you ready to put my mugshot on the post office wall. I was just having an argument with a guy about this possible scenario and was wondering what you guys thought

It is legal to keep any KY game fish in a tank(withou a permit) as long as it was taken legally and was of legal size. So, if the smallie was taken legally and was of legal size (from Elkhorn slot limit) haw could you prove that if you where turned in later?