Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Walleye Guide at Nolin or Cumberland or Laurel

Anyone have some ideas for guides to these lakes for walleye.

I'm willing to learn. Don't really care if I catch TONS of fish....but I definitely want someone who has the following attribrutes:

* Fair and Honest
    * Knowledgable of walleye fishing in KY
    * Willing to SHARE the info
    * Can, if the conditions are right.......put fish in the BOAT

Don't get me wrong......I don't expect a guide to give me all the secrets, but if I'm going to book 2-3 trips this fall/winter/spring, I'd like to know that I'm going to be able to take the knowledge, and apply it myself.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Nolin is the closest to me........but I'm game to hit Cumberland, Dale, or Laurel, if necessary.

Once again,

Thanks,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Walleye Guide at Nolin or Cumberland or Laurel

So, are there NO guides on these lakes.........It seems to me this is CERTAINLY an untapped resource.

Just wondering......

How about when the PWT came to Cumberland....certainly, the had some help........

Anyone have any ideas.

Thanks,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Go way up in Nolin River almost to BAcon Creek and troll crawler harnesses,or wallie divers when you troll crankbaits long line them ...

I have a place at Wax but havent fished alot this year ????I live a few blocks from Harrison ave ramp in the Ohio Its been too hot to spend all the gas money when the fishing is so good on the Ohio this year ....We have already been getting sauger and walleye while fishing for stripes ....

I predict a banner year for sauger and walleye on the Ohio River

Post Thanks / Like

if you are coming to cumberland, stop at the pro bass shop in bronston and ask for Dan. he was the top amateur KY fisherman when the PWT was here and is very walleye knowledgeable. he is not a guide per se but an "honest" fisherman and i am sure willing to help you. SSKY who used to frequent this board also helped the PWT guys out and has been catching them currently here on cumberland. he keeps a pretty busy schedule though (also not a guide but a really good local walleye angler).

Post Thanks / Like

Hey...........THANKS for the info.........I knew about Bacon Creek. I thought about trying my canoe there REALLY LATER, or EARLY next year.....just not too sure how safe that would be.

If not the canoe, than, I might be able to get my 17ft tracker up there........I heard it can be tough.....I've been to Nolin, but never up the creek.

Thanks for the info on Sauger and Walleye below the dam. I have NOT been there in a while......Maybe I will head there this weekend.

BTW......Went to West Boggs in Indiana today. Didn't get SKUNKED, but the bassing was REALLY tough. Managed 6 or 8 bass on carolina rigs, but nothing to brag about.

Thanks for the INFO......I really appreciate it.

Finally, I'm in New Albany, and used to get to the river quite frequently. I've even portaged the CANOE down the steps at the interpretive center to fish. That was a BLAST.....

Once again.....Thanks for the info.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

the lake is still up enough to run your big boat up to BAcon Creek ......the Amish advise the walleye fishing is good up there ALL year,the run in in early sping yes, but the big eyes are up there all summer !!! there are major underground springs up there ,the cool water from the springs hold the eyes ....when you troll the night crawler harnesses ,put a few crawlers on them not just one ...this is what the Amish do and they catch walleyes consistantly

also you can't beat a No 5 shadrap in shad pattern, let out alot of line when you troll it . When you pick up a fish mark the spot and bottom bounce some crawler harnesses

The crappie are biting really well too,fish the timber in Rock Creek

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a guide at Laurel, contact Ralph Byrely at 1 859 428 2463. He's a dockmate of mine there at Holly Bay. He's a very nice retired gentleman who has been fishing the lake for years and has done pretty well on walleye. He's also very willing to take the time to teach and answer questions.

Mike(aka Boatnut)

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-01-05 AT 09:58PM (EST)[/font][p]Geo, about 10 of us did a two day canoe and kayak trip down Nolin this summer. We took out at Bacon Creek. We met people fishing about two miles above the ramp. It's plenty deep at summer pool. Just watch the depth finder and go slow.
    Oh, and jfw is right, that river is COLD year round! We have some land about ten miles above Bacon Creek and it really has to be hot to go swimming! Was thinking about asking the state guys if they'd stock trout there.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Geo, I knew I had the info somewhere, it just took a couple of days to find it. The April edition of Walleye Insider did a story on Cumberland and walleyes in prep for the PWT tourney this spring and listed the name of Fletcher Wise at the end of the story as a contact. His number is 1-270-465-8920. I have wanted to take a trip with him but have not yet found the time. If you hook up with him, let us know how the trip went.

Paul

Post Thanks / Like

I do a website for a guide on Cumberland. http://www.fishwolfcreek.com
    Roy Shell is a very good guide and very honest. He and the Colonel work together and the Colonel is one of the best on the lake. They both can help you with patterning walleye on Cumberland.
    Jim Dicken

>Anyone have some ideas for guides
    >to these lakes for walleye.
    >
    >
    >I'm willing to learn. Don't
    >really care if I catch
    >TONS of fish....but I definitely
    >want someone who has the
    >following attribrutes:
    >
    >* Fair and Honest
    >* Knowledgable of walleye fishing
    >in KY
    >* Willing to SHARE the
    >info
    >* Can, if the conditions
    >are right.......put fish in the
    >BOAT
    >
    >Don't get me wrong......I don't expect
    >a guide to give me
    >all the secrets, but if
    >I'm going to book 2-3
    >trips this fall/winter/spring, I'd like
    >to know that I'm going
    >to be able to take
    >the knowledge, and apply it
    >myself.
    >
    >Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
    >
    >
    >Nolin is the closest to me........but
    >I'm game to hit Cumberland,
    >Dale, or Laurel, if necessary.
    >
    >
    >Once again,
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone.........Thanks.

I really appreciate the help. I Hope to fish there quite a few times this winter........probably will start next week or so.

Once again.....Thanks,

BTW....I will post my results.......

Later,

Geo