Search Fishin.com

Thread: Trailor Carpet

Post Thanks / Like

Trailor Carpet

I need to get my tarilor boards re carpeted. Anyone know of some place cheap and fast near Lexington??? Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Trailor Carpet

Can you make them yourself, a lot cheaper in the long run...treat 2x6's and out door carpet stapled to the boards. Pre-measure them to the spec's of your old ones and the job can take about an hour. Take off the old ones at the boat ramp while you have your boat anchored on the bank. Mark the hole spots and then use a portable rechargeable drill to screw in the lag bolts on the new runners.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, purchased my carpet at Stokley's it's pre-cut for the bunks in a large role so you by what you need. It's very easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Do it yourself. ALOT less expensive. All you need is carpet (indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowe's or Home Depot), some carpet shears, and a staple gun. It's really easy.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh make sure you use stainless steel staples as well.

Post Thanks / Like

if your around the nicholsville or lexington area there's a carpet store across from the Dishbarn on highway 27 that sells marine grade carpet . it's in the strip mall. glued mine on with Woodweld all around and stapled on the back side with stainless staples...............

Post Thanks / Like

You might consider slick strips. I bought a set at BP for around $50. Just buy 8 foot treated 2x6s. They install with included stainless steel screws. Works a whole lot better than carpet and only takes about a half hour to install.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by raporter View Post
    You might consider slick strips. I bought a set at BP for around $50. Just buy 8 foot treated 2x6s. They install with included stainless steel screws. Works a whole lot better than carpet and only takes about a half hour to install.
    Aren't you afraid that the boat will come off the trailer before you want it to?
    I have seen boats slide off and onto the ramp at Cumberland. Just wondering.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by geobass View Post
    Aren't you afraid that the boat will come off the trailer before you want it to?
    I have seen boats slide off and onto the ramp at Cumberland. Just wondering.
    I do not release the hook untill I am in the water. I have a riveted Tracker that does not slide off like a fiberglass or welded one would. Other than when I undo the hook unloading is no different. Putting it back on the trailer is much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

This is why you keep the front attached until the boat is backed in the water. Slick strips or no slick strips, boats will come off the trailer in the winter time, especially on Day 2 of the trip when it drops below freezing the night before. Leave the front unhooked and back down the ramp then and watch the boat come off the trailer. I have seen it done and it is a bad deal all the way around. I keep my front hooked up no matter the time of year until I have the back in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I just received a box of slick sticks that I ordered from Bass Pro Shops. I'll be installing them someday.

Now with my boat it takes me forever to get it to come off my trailer, thus my desire to install the slick sticks.

Now I worry that the boat will come off before I reach the water.

I am going to keep the boat hooked up to the winch until I get it backed into the water then I'll release the hook from the bow of the boat.

Before I could unhook the bow line and back down the steep ramp at Patoka lake and not worry about my boat sliding off the boat trailer.

I have carpet covering my 2 x 6's and these are about 12 ft long. They are on edge so the boat only sides on about 1.75" + 1.75" of wood along the 12 ft long board.

If you are going to use boat carpet make sure you get the good thick kind of indoor/outdoor carpet.

I purchased some of the cheaper carpet and it tore in less than a season. So I had to tear all the old carpet off and redo it with better carpet.

I hope the slick sticks help. I ordered two packages of them. Hopefully the edge of the 2x6's are wide enough to support the slick sticks. Slick sticks are 1.5" wide and about 8" long. So it takes a few slick sticks to cover the entire 12 ft lenght of the 2x6 board.

Quote Originally Posted by elnutsmalljaws View Post
    This is why you keep the front attached until the boat is backed in the water. Slick strips or no slick strips, boats will come off the trailer in the winter time, especially on Day 2 of the trip when it drops below freezing the night before. Leave the front unhooked and back down the ramp then and watch the boat come off the trailer. I have seen it done and it is a bad deal all the way around. I keep my front hooked up no matter the time of year until I have the back in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am View Post
    I just received a box of slick sticks that I ordered from Bass Pro Shops. I'll be installing them someday.

Now with my boat it takes me forever to get it to come off my trailer, thus my desire to install the slick sticks.

Now I worry that the boat will come off before I reach the water.

I am going to keep the boat hooked up to the winch until I get it backed into the water then I'll release the hook from the bow of the boat.

Before I could unhook the bow line and back down the steep ramp at Patoka lake and not worry about my boat sliding off the boat trailer.

I have carpet covering my 2 x 6's and these are about 12 ft long. They are on edge so the boat only sides on about 1.75" + 1.75" of wood along the 12 ft long board.

If you are going to use boat carpet make sure you get the good thick kind of indoor/outdoor carpet.

I purchased some of the cheaper carpet and it tore in less than a season. So I had to tear all the old carpet off and redo it with better carpet.

I hope the slick sticks help. I ordered two packages of them. Hopefully the edge of the 2x6's are wide enough to support the slick sticks. Slick sticks are 1.5" wide and about 8" long. So it takes a few slick sticks to cover the entire 12 ft lenght of the 2x6 board.
    Moose, My friend has a trailer similar to what you are talking about that we haul his strip pit boat with. They will work very well for you. Just get in the habit of not releasing your front until you are in the water. He is very happy with his.