Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Favorite fall tactics

Was just curious about everyone's fav. fall paterns/tactics. I usually find I have a lot of trouble finding fish before they head into the creeks. They just seem to be scattered everywhere lately. I'm sure the areas I'm fishing are holding fish, just can't decide on what lures etc.. to try.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Favorite fall tactics

The best way I have found is to blow a whole in the dam and use a big net to catch the big ones. Just kidding, I have had some success with a texas rigged blue fleck worm on a point of some sort with some other structure on it ie, grass trees rocks. I also love anywhere where there is grass. I also had some luck with a spinnerbait but it’s not my favorite.

Post Thanks / Like

My method for fall seems to be more "junk fishing" than anything else. I move around and fish baitfish pods with rattletraps and isolated cover with the same or plastics/jigs. Early morning i use buzzbaits and rattletraps on anything that looks good. I always look for the feeding bass as well. Like i said "junk fishing" fish any junk that looks good.

Post Thanks / Like

Best idea I can give you is turn your trolling motor on high and look for bait and cover lots of water. Also look for the creeks that have a fresh influx of water from the back. I like buzz baits, shad raps, and trick worms.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the insight guys, I wander how a suspending jerkbait would do, I know this is nornally a "Spring" bait But I would think if the bass are chasing, they would go for such an easy meal. Speaking of grass, I wish I had the opportinity to fish it more often. I normally fish Nolin, Barren, Rough. Not a single blade of grass there. The best grass fishing I ever did was at lake fork WOW!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chef,

I fished 2 weeks ago on Barkley and again today. Today I was limited to only three hours, but I'll try to share what I've really found so far this fall.

I've not found any "good" fish in the bays yet, maybe some of the bigger creeks, but I've not fished them. 2 weeks ago I found the best fish on main lake points with boulders.

Today, there was some current on Barkley and I was fishing ledges near the dam for the last hour. I found both smallies and largemouth. Again though, earlier, I spent too much time looking for them in the bay. I did not expect to have the fishing day cut so short.

If this fall is like last fall, I usually find the fish in the bays chasing the balled up shad. Lipless crankbaits work, spinnerbaits, rooster tails, but something else I really like, well actually two things. One, I use a spinning reel and light line and use a light darter jig, with a smoke colored, curl tailed grub, with the tail dyed chartruese. The other thing is a variation on the carolina rig that was shown to me by a guy from Main. I use a standard CR, but instead of a standard hook, I use a small Yamamoto hook that is almost a circle hook. I nose hook the same grub, and use at least a 3/4 oz, weight. I cast it out and I retrieve it under the shad with a steady retrieve. When the fish hits, it will fill like you are dragging your weight over pebbled bottom, and you don't set the hook. It is very important to try to keep the fish from jumping. I've lost a lot of very nice fish once they go airborn.

I hope this helps some.

Danny