Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Berkley Vanish ?

Anyone use it? I orderd 3 spools from Cabelas,the 8 lb. came in first,It seems strong till you tie any type knot,It breaks like 2lb.I sent the others back. Did I get a bad spool or is it all this weak?
    It is 8lb. clear/gold

Thanks
    Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Berkley Vanish ?

Typical Berkley line for you. I have no luck with any of their fishing line. I use Bass Pro Excel exclusively. Best line I have ever used and cheap. However I would like to find a good Fluorocarbon to use because excel does not have a fluoro.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had the same luck w/ Vanish and P-line flurocarbon. I once read that you cannot use a palomar knot with it 'cause it'll break so I used a clinch knot and still had problems. I think that next time I use it (F & F this winter) I'll try the trilene knot and see if that's any better. I will follow this post closely to see what experience others have had w/ knots breaking the line.

Post Thanks / Like

Amazing stuff, ugh? I've probably lost 10 nice fish with this Vanish Flourocarbon this year, and yet, I still have it spooled on my reel, thinking it was my knot too. At $15.00 a spool, you would think it was gold. I do believe it helps in clear water but I'm not impressed with the quality of Vanish either.

Post Thanks / Like

I've not been impressed with flouros either. The one I did try that seemed at least marginal was BPS XPS in 12#. We only used it as leader material though. The worst I found to be was Stren. After the 3rd or 4th break off I tossed the junk.

Post Thanks / Like

Berkley Vanish cost me $500 in a SKM tournament. It's not the knot, I don't use polomar knots. It's that junk line. I wrote Berkley a letter and I e-mailed them with no response. That junk may be ok for the pros who can afford to change their line every night because it's free but to a regular fisherman that junk won't make it. I know three other fishermen who have quit using it because of breaking problems. E-mail Berkley and let them know they are putting garbage on the market and you are not happy. If enough people complain maybe they will fix the breaking problem. I have stopped using all Berkley lines because of their lack of response and concern. And I have had no trouble with P-line floro.

Post Thanks / Like

I stopped using Berkley line 12 years ago. I always had problems with their line and i used all of it. My buddies swear by it, (to each his own i guess). I use the BPS version of Flourocarbon (8lb)on my spinning reels and i love it. I used the polomar knot and have had no complaints either. I'll buy some 12lb for my C-rig leaders next. I still think that for the money BPS Excel is the best out there.......

Post Thanks / Like

I used to be a Trilene XT/XL man until I tried P-line. That s$$t is just amazing. When trying to break off w/ 8 lb. line you'd think that it was 15.

Post Thanks / Like

I used it for one season as my leader material for striper rigs. I absolutely got more bites, but I lost just about every big fish I hooked that year. Didn't matter what knot I used. Never again.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always heard that, with fluorocarbon line, it is important to wet the knot before cinching it down. Apparently if it is not wet it will weaken due to the friction? I do not know, just what I have heard and read.

Flash

Post Thanks / Like

I have no luck with any of the P-Line products that I've used. Both the CXX and the Flouroclear have been twisted really, really bad.

Post Thanks / Like

trilene man

ive used trilene xl for several years now with a polamar knot with not any trouble at all but a little line twist every now and than but im sure it was my fault.ive had very few fish break off and the ones who did i would have to blame on not retying often enough.hell i was bassfishing in my buddys pond with a 5 inch plastic worm and hooked a 30 pound blue catfish on 10 pound trilene xl,he was landed in about 4 or 5 minutes.to me thats good line.but we all like what we like....