Search Fishin.com

Thread: LAKE CUMBERLAND

Post Thanks / Like

LAKE CUMBERLAND

Hello...new to the board...got a question.

Has anyone ever had any luck using leeches for Walleye or Smallies on Lake Cumberland? And does anyone know any bait shops that sell them near Conley Bottom?

We have had great success using them in MN and Canada. Also, caught several nice smallies and largemouth on them while fishing the canal at KY and Barkley while fishing for catfish.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: LAKE CUMBERLAND

Welcome to the Board HappyHunter! I too have had great success with leeches in Canada and Wisconsin. This year the only place I found some locally was at Wally World for about a 6 to 8 week period. I had some success with them at Nolin using a Lindy no snag slip sinker rig and a gum drop floater on a 4 foot leader. This was the first year that I have been able to find leeches, but it was late in the "leech" season so will now have to wait till next year. I an now looking to find some large 4" to 6" minnows or creek chubs for fall, cooler water eyes.

Paul L

onemorecast56 Guest

I went to Ely Mn 2 years ago and bought a half pound of JUMBO leechs the middle of may and hit cumberland the week after i got home,,,,,let me tell you the walleye and smallies loved them just like up there. I use a lindy rig and throw up on the main lake points and worked them like a c-rig got alot of walleye and smallies,,,and some really big bluegills.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the responses guys!! Onemorecast...that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Now I just need to find someone that sells them.

Post Thanks / Like

Onemorecast...what lakes did yall go to in Ely. I haven't been up there in years. We made it five consecutive years at one point. We would normally put in at Mudro or another close lake and end up on Crooked Lake around Friday Bay. I am dying to get back up there. Tremendous fishing...caught a 32 inch walleye on a leach one year.

onemorecast56 Guest

I`ve been going to Ely since I was 6 or 7 and i`m 50 now so I know the area real well. I`ve fished just about every one. I`ve stayed Little Long Lake the most and love it the best but I`ve fished the White Iron Lake system, aka farm, and garden. I`ve stayed at Bear Island, Mitchell Lake. and hit most the others for day trips at 1 time or the other. The next time I`m going to stay at Lake Vermillion. The musky on the front page of here, the guy is standing in my boat. I want to go so bad again I can`t stand it, but at the cost of gas and lodgeing,,,man it`ll kill me.

Doug