Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Flats @ KY

Does anyone know when to consistantly catch schooling fish on the flats at KY. I want to plan a trip to the lake and want to try fishing eclusivly for fish in the backs of creeks busting shad. This is the most exciting way to fish (for me) and would like to come at the most productive time. Need to give the boss a little notice about leaving for a week or I would just look at Dave's fishing reports.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Fishing Flats @ KY

I'd be asking for that vacation time right now. For me, the fish were in the bays bigtime this weekend. I saw school after school of good size fish busting the surface. Even managed to catch a few of them.

It's fixing to get good. Real good.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Slopfishin,
    Thanks for the quick reply. I will be taking my wife this time so I hope she see's what a fun time we can have. Normally I can't get her to go bass fishing due to impatience however this could change her way of thinking. I am planning on the week of the 24th. Hopefully the feeding frenzy will be in full swing at that time. I know the water will certainly be cooler at that time. Were you fishing KY or Barkley? I am not sure where I will be staying but with gas prices being what they are I want to camp as close to the action as possible.

Thanks,
    BKH

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, as I stated in my previous post I will be pulling a camper with me and camping the week of the 24th. Could anyone recomend a good camping spot. I would like to find a place that I can pull the camper to, set up, and see the lake with good access to a ramp. Probably be fishing North Barkley some but most of my fishing will probably be targeting the grass bays north and south of the 68/80 bridge. Don't know much about the camping other then Prizer and it is just too far from the places I have chosen to fish for that week. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bart

Post Thanks / Like

I was fishing KY. I haven't been fishing Barkley much this year. Me and my regular fishing buddy decided we'd learn KY this year and I'm not sure if I'll go back to Barkley. LOL. J/K, Barkley's an awesome lake. I guess I just got a little burnt out on it.

If it were me, seeing as how the lakes will be 5 feet below summer pool, I'd probably stick to KY since it has fewer obstructions. While KY can be a little tricky to navigate in some places, Barkley can be downright dangerous when the water's that low. Would'nt want your trip to be cut short because of a busted lower unit.

As far as campgrounds, I'm not really sure. I see several in bays up and down the LBL side of KY Lake south of the 68/80 bridge. I think one's called Red Hollow. Not sure though. Buy a lake map. It'll show them all.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Slpfishin you're great. Thanks very much for the information you have given me. I only get out to the lakes once or twice a year as I am from Scottsville and fish Barren most of the time. I moved my trip to the 17th seeing that the fish are already busting. I have taken a couple trips over the last few years with Dave Stewart and will probably be checking some of the stuff he showed me but hopfully I can just stay in the backs of the creeks and follow the fish around. I will check some lake maps to find a camping spot. If anyone knows of anyplace handy, please let me know.

Thanks,
    Bart

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you camp at Fenton boat ramp, it is just past the 68 bridge on the right, puts you right in the middle of your route, not too far from the canal either.

Post Thanks / Like

Hillman ferry campground is nice. It has electric hookups and showers and it is close to the bays you want to fish and not very far from N Barkley. It's located on Pisgah Bay.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Bart
    Tried to email you but seem to have misplaced your email...drop me an email....I probably won't get a chance to answer for a few days (going trout fishing) but will be back this weekend.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dave, Great to hear from you. I sent you my email address. I would have called but I knew this was the time of year you went trout fishing with your buddy's. Hope the trip is great. I am not coming down this year to fish the classic. Didn't fish Renegade this year due to time restraints. I am coming to have a great relaxing time with the family and hope to catch a few while there. One of the Buddy's I am bringing is a crappie fisherman but doesn't know the lakes at all. May take him out to try and find some crappie one day. Have no idea what they are doing or even where to go but will cross that bridge when I get to it. The guys on the board have been great in attempting to help me to find a few fish and I am really looking forward to coming down. Maybe we can get together while I am down there. I would love to buy your breakfast one morning. You have always gone out of your way to lead me in the right direction and I appreciate that.

See ya soon,
    Bart

Anyone knowing about a bit of any kind is welcome to email me at bhelson@mhequipment.com

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't mind a little out of the way place the camp ground in Sugar bay is tops in my book. Great view with a ramp on a top notch fishing bay. It is a primitive camp ground but that's the way I like it.

I am missing out on my fall family trip which would have happened this upcoming week end. We have done this trip for several years straight and it is always a great trip. I take my kids out armed with ultra-lights and midget crank baits and we catch fish -- lots of fish. Just burn the gravel banks back in the bays and be prepared to handle a lot of fish. We make it a competition to see how many species we can catch over our trip. I believe 14 is our record. KY is great (and I have a place on Barkley). I can't wait for retirement!

kc

Post Thanks / Like

kc,
    Sorry you are missing the family trip. Thanks for the information on Sugar Bay. I have fished that are a and love it. We have not decided yet on where we are staying but there seems to be some nice campgrounds in the LBL. I think I will come down next week and take a drive down through LBL and pick something out. I am truly looking forward to this trip. No pressure to find fish for a tounament (which I also like to do) but just take my time and wxplore a little. Love the big Lakes.

Thanks,
    Bart