Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by yogio View Post
    Grass carp won't eat filamentous algae, which is what pond moss really is. The best product is cutrine + (sold at Southern States at approx. $22/gallon). Copper sulfate works basically the same way, but is potentially toxic if overused, especially at higher ph levels. Cutrine also comes in a granular which works better on bottom growth, but is steeper in price. Aqua Shade is pretty, but in my experience DOES NOT prevent algae. I also have a diffusing aerator, which prevents thermaclines and "pond turnover", but has not prevented algae growth. You have to be careful with really heavy growth, because if you kill it all at once, you will get oxygen deprivation and a fish kill. My pond is about 1 acre/ 15 foot deep at the deepest (only about 9 now with this **** drought). We fish and swim in the pond and water visibility, even with AquaShade is about 5 foot. I continously have to fight the algae around the perimeter of the pond and in 2 bays that are shallower than the rest.
    They will eat filamentous algae or at least they have controlled it in my pond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to me the key to using grass carp is to be patient and let them do their job. A lot of people will not get the results they want as fast as they want and they will throw ten times as many more carp as needed into the pond and then they have nothing but what looks like a big mud basin full of chocolate milk...lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by treisa1 View Post
    How do you protect the ducks from raccoons and coyotes and fox? I had ducks one time and the raccoons killed them.
    A few mature geese with the ducks would go a long ways but you can't totally protect tame ducks if they are outdoors. If you could protect them from raccoons, coyotes and foxes it would only be a matter of time before a hawk, owl or eagle would take them.