Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Tough day on Shanty Hollow

Wife and I went up to Shanty today between 8-1. Only boated 3 bass with the largest a mere 14". Lost a couple of other small ones. Fish came on soft plastics (4-6 inch worms) and all were pretty shallow. Couldn't get a bite on cranks, spinnerbaits, or small inline spinners. Saw a few bass busting on baitfish (shad/minnows?) that couldn't have been more than 1.5 inches in length. Threw small silver spinners (rooster tail/blue fox), beetle spins (white), and small white spinnerbaits to no avail. Any suggestions on what to throw in this situation? Thanks, Brian.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Tough day on Shanty Hollow

I have been wanting to get back over on Shanty Hollow, especially since gas prices are a little high and I can only use the trolling motor there.

I have only fished it a handfull of times with both live and artificial and I have NEVER caught a Bass on that body of water. I want to try it again soon though.

I always come off the ramp and go right - however, people tell me most people bass fish the left side of the lake towards the dam.

If you have any shanty hollow advice let me know or if you ever want to try to tackle it together let me know.

Blessed Fishin

Post Thanks / Like

it has been a couple of years since I was up there and we picked up a few at the big rocks on the right toward the dam and trolled some decent crappie out of the brush back in the shollows but it has been awhile with gas like it is more us will be dragging in the pond hoopers again, not a bad idea though. also tompkinsville city lake has a few good bass in it had one snap a 14 lb leader down toward the spillway in a brush pile fishing for crappie if it was a paper mouth he was on tough ombre.. I have seen some parasites on some pond bass brought in lately we only cleaned one out of curiosity mostly the bugs were like a small yellow worm that attached by the dorsal fin and were burried clean to the spinal column so we did not harvest any more for the plate but they seem to be strong fighters so we released them back into the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard from a reliable source that about a year or two ago, they shocked up a bunch of bass in Shanty and moved them to another lake. I don't know why or even if it is true. I do know that there used to be some lunkers (10lb +) in there years ago before they drained it for repairs. Was a great bass and bluegill fishery then, hope it can get back to being that way.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was younger my cousin and I fished Shanty Hollow alot. Back then it was a great bluegill and bass fishery. I can remember many days catching lots of fish. If my memory serves me correctly I would catch bass with a floating rapala minnow. It would run 2-5 feet deep. It was a black on top and gray on the bottom. We caught many a bass and bluegill with that plug. Great little lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Pastorbass, email me at: hoffmanniacs@aol.com and we'll see if we can't get together. I'm far from an expert but have had some decent days at Shanty. Mustang, I usually have some original Rapalas with me...didn't even think about it...that won't happen again. Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the Hollow used to be pretty nice before they drained it. We did see smaller bass (4-6") and fry everywhere near the shore. Maybey better days ahead in the coming years? Speaking of smaller ponds, anyone have any recent succes at some of the lakes around Russelville? I drive by the road to Briggs lake as well as the hwy that leads to Malone (Spa, Scout) whenever we go to visit my Mom. I've often wondered about these little lakes. The Mrs. and I are supposed to head back on Th or Fri. I'll post a report if we go.

Post Thanks / Like

scaley1,

I almost hate to answer this question, but I will...lol

On Barkley and KY, most people will throw 1/4 oz rattle traps. I don't liek rattle traps. Everyone throws them. So I've been looking for other lipless baits. I have a couple super spots, a diamond shad, but what has really worked for me is the Berkley Frenzy. I don't know if it is something just a little different or what, but I catch fish, and they usually stay hooked up. I use the kind of shad pattern that is a silver blue.

I hated typing that, as I don't want everyone else to start throwing them, so I'll throw this in too, I never ever catch a fish... LMAO I am psychotic and they are all illusions.. LMAO

Really, good luck and try the Frenzy.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

There are no fish in Shanty Hollow!!!!!!LOL LOL

I live within 15 min drive from there, and used to fish it alot as a youngster. Have started fishing it more lately since the gass prices. The largest Bass I've caught there would go near 4 lbs. I catch alot of smaller 10-14 inch Bass there. I've caught Bass in both directions to the right from the ramp, and on the left going toward the dam. The largest was caught on a weightless worm(Gulp)just before dark earlier this spring. Alot of people are right, since the drawdown for the dam repair the lake just hasn't been the same, but you can still catch some good bass. Try senko's T rigged with chartruese(sp?)tail in the shallows near blow downs/lay downs. Also try C-rig in the deeper water near the main channel. Watch that ramp, pretty steep, and with a heavy boat, you'd better have 4-wheel drive. Seen a few boats and trucks slide down the ramp into the water.

Troy

Post Thanks / Like

So true on the ramp. I have to put the blazer in 4WD just to make sure. Thanks for the info. on Senkos and C-rigs. Have you ever tried those Dave's tiki stick baits (Senko imitator)? I've been thinking about giving those a shot. I was hoping to head out there yesterday but had to much "honey-do" to attend to. Hopefully I'll get a chance this week and maybey Barren as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Danny. Your secret's safe with me (can't vouch for the hundreds of others though :) I actually have a Frenzy bait that I got when I joined BASS. I guess I'm going to tie it on my crank rig next time I hit the water. Any other surprising "go-to baits"? Am I greedy or what! One rig I find myself going to more and more lately is a 4" zoom lizzard (dark purple) with a 1/16 oz bull shot about 6-8" in front of it. Haven't caught any monsters but the smaller fish can't seem to let it be when used with a slow drag/pause retrieve.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Tough day on Shanty Hollow

A buddy and I fished this small pond of a lake for 2 days stright, you name it we tried it! And not 1 bite! I mean it not one bite. dont waste your time at this place

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tough day on Shanty Hollow

Justfishin, you mentioned Tompinksville city lake. I grew up on that lake, my biggest bass both species have come from that lake, an 11+ largie and 7+ smallie, I use to catch several there over 5.It used to be loaded with biguns but the catch and eat crowd cleaned them out. I saw one guy there one day who was complaining that he wasnt catching any thing that year but he said that the year before he caught over 40 that went over 3 and 4 lbs, and he said he could not figure out what happened, when asked if he released them he quickly replied" no I am a catch and eat man" so there was his answer, too many spawing size fish taken out can hurt a fishery, but there are still a few in there. I released both of mine back. I love that little lake, I also caught my very first bass there, a 4.5lbr when I was around 11 or so. I cut my bass fishing teeth on that lake.