Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Snakehead in KY?

It would be nice if the Department of Fish and Wildlife or fishing promotional agencies would put a bounty on them. Then when folks would catch them and collect theirbounty, hopefully this will eventually eradicate them!
    All sportsman should destroy them immediately if not interested in the bounty . . in order to maintain our waters for our indigenous species! Just sayin . .

Post Thanks / Like

"some kind of weird spotted walking fish"

LMAO

Post Thanks / Like

Yep he said it was a fish that looked like a bowfin but was kind of spotted and looked like it was kind of walking. Described it something like somebody with broken legs using their elbows to kind of drag themselves.
    So i guess that would be a fish walking if a fish was to be able to walk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oldlures View Post
    It would be nice if the Department of Fish and Wildlife or fishing promotional agencies would put a bounty on them. Then when folks would catch them and collect theirbounty, hopefully this will eventually eradicate them!
    All sportsman should destroy them immediately if not interested in the bounty . . in order to maintain our waters for our indigenous species! Just sayin . .
    What Mel said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Post Thanks / Like

Snahe heads in the Ohio?

I was working with a fellow last week who lives near Mcalpine Dam and has bank fished extinsively from the Kennedy Bridge to Shawnee park his whole life. He says he has found dead snakeheads and snakehead skeletons washed up on the shore below the dam for quite some time. As you will see in the link below there is another fish in Indiana and Kentucky that resembles the snakehead. He said the ones he saw had teeth.

I don't know. In any event you never know what you will find in the Ohio.

http://www.fishin.com/articles/snakehead/snakehead.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmU7e...e_gdata_player

Post Thanks / Like

I found this thread looking for snakehead info after reading a recent article in Field and Stream about a potential world record snakehead caught out of the Potomic (sp?) river.

Has anybody had any recent reports of snakeheads in KY?

I personally would rather have snakeheads in KY than asian carp any day. From what i have read, snakeheads aren't the destruction of all fishable waters problem that people think they are.

If I can find a place in KY to fish for them, I'll be there in a heartbeat.

Post Thanks / Like

No channa in KY. There has NEVER been a single confirmed channa sighting in the wild in KY.

Out of the thirty or so species of Channa, only two or three could ever survive KY winters as they are a tropical species. Also, most channa are very small, usually less than a foot in length.

Unfortunately because the .gov is too stupid to differentiate between Channa argus and Channa maurulia, both popular in the food industry and both now living in U.S. waters vs the dozens of small and brightly colored species that were popular with aquarists they banned them all. Aquarists are NOT the problem when it came to channa, it was the food industry. In fact, Channa argus was a very popular farm fish and raised in Arkansas up until the federal ban.

Post Thanks / Like

Just think, what if they grew to the size of Wolf Fish in the amazon?!!! Bad for the native fish and environment BUT a blast to catch!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    They sound like they would be a blast to catch, though. Apparently they are pretty tough and fight like crazy.

I'd like to hook into one of those Asian carp, also. I believe they fight about like tarpon.
    Have you ever hooked a tarpon?