Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Snakehead in KY?

Always some fool screwing things up =
    http://fw.ky.gov/091405.asp?lid=1250...h=C105C122C447

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Snakehead in KY?

Pretty stiff penalty the guy got for having that fish. A $25 fine. Now that's a serious deterrent.

Post Thanks / Like

They sound like they would be a blast to catch, though. Apparently they are pretty tough and fight like crazy.

I'd like to hook into one of those Asian carp, also. I believe they fight about like tarpon.

Post Thanks / Like

The fish was in an Aquarium and was destroyed according to my sources at Fish and Wildlife. I realize $25.00 is not much, but for an Aquarium owner who does not fish it is a deterrent. This guy was not a dealer .. Dealers caught with the fish will get stiffer penalties.
    Jim Dicken

Post Thanks / Like

one fish sounds innocent enough but, if you figure that this is just one guy. but more than likely he is not. here in glasgow there was a group that started selling wildlife of all types, including tigers, moutian lions, wolfs, and a few ocelots. the problem is when they are babies they are cute when they are grown they are expensive. forty or fifty pounds of food a day can add up. and if you do not want busted you turn them lose let some one else handle it. that some one else is the taxpayer. look at the news in florida with the pythons killing gators. Hard to believe. also in florida and louisanana are tribes of monkeys who escaped from the old tarzan movie sets they still roam free in some areas. just as a few nutrarats got lose in the 20s there tens of thousands of these things down south. we really do have to act responsible with these little reports. you know grannies cat is gone is one thing but what if it was little joe or mikey out back when these things get hungry. just my 2 cents worth though.

Post Thanks / Like

Check this out if you are interested in Snakeheads. Looks like they are no longer beleived to be a SMALL problem.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...101001602.html

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Snakehead in KY?

I did a search on snake head fish and found this post. Early this morning i found two snakeheads on the flooded levees on Highway 109 in Hopkins County. And yes they were snake heads because i actually got to poke them with a stick and take a close up look at them. There was also a razorback hog found run over and a couple armadilos were also found.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you sure they weren't bowfin?

http://www.future-digital.com/aquari...wfin_info.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kyfanatic View Post
    Always some fool screwing things up =
    http://fw.ky.gov/091405.asp?lid=1250...h=C105C122C447
    You know this article is 6 years old right?

Post Thanks / Like

It says he had to pay $25 PLUS court costs. Court costs are usually over $100. So you figure this guy got around a $150 or so fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I stood there in the water and looked at them for maybe ten minutes which means i got a real up and close look at them and im 100% sure they were not bowfins. I also have a buddy who claims he saw what he termed as "some kind of weird spotted walking fish" that was crossing the road in about three inches of water.
    The two fish i saw was on a flooded section of Highway 109 about three miles south of Providence Ky. The one fish my buddy saw was on a flooded section of Highway 293 about four miles south of Providence Ky.

Evidently these flood waters are forcing everything out of the bottoms and up into places where they can be seen. There are bridges with a quarter to a mile of water on both sides and they are covered with every species of snake and every other varmint we have here in Kentucky.
    Last edited by IronWorker; 05-11-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would love to go to the canals of FL and try to catch some snakeheads!