Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

dropping barren and nolin

get your fishin in cause it is bad when they are pulling it and it starts friday

Post Thanks / Like

RE: dropping barren and nolin

Just curious........am I alone in believing Barren is good if not better than usual when they are pulling it? For me it is excellent from the time they start pulling it till fall turnover. In fact, just about any time they are pulling it I seem to do better.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard, not for sure, that Barren is beginning fall turnover in areas. Does anyone else know this to be fact. I know some of the smaller watershed lakes near me turned over last week.

Post Thanks / Like

Based on the following COE data, I would GUESS it has not yet turned over, at least in the main lake, but then this data is 7 days old and DevilsHorse reported on here that the surface temp was 70-72 yesterday so if it hasn't, it will very soon. I know I usually have a week or two of fishing between when they start dropping it (15th) and turnover (late Oct). Turnover ruins fishing for me for a couple of weeks and then it gets really good again.
    WATER QUALITY DATA FOR BARREN RIVER LAKE (BRR)
    (10/3/2005)
    Depth Temp Oxygen
    0 77.2F° (25.1C°) 8.6
    5 77.4F° (25.2C°) 8.6
    10 77.4F° (25.2C°) 8.5
    15 76.6F° (24.8C°) 6.4
    20 76.3F° (24.6C°) 5.1
    25 75.9F° (24.4C°) 4.4
    30 75.6F° (24.2C°) 3.5
    35 74.3F° (23.5C°) 0.2
    40 72.5F° (22.5C°) 0.1
    45 70.5F° (21.4C°) 0.1
    50 69.3F° (20.7C°) 0.1
    52 69.1F° (20.6C°) 0.0

Post Thanks / Like

Man I slay the bass when they start pullin Nolin hard ....it makes the crayfish move into deeper water ,Always blasted them on rebel craw crankbaits ...just my 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't do any analysis or talk with anybody, but Sunday Barren had that blackish looking color it gets when it turns over. For me the better sized fish haven't gotten into October mode yet, but the smaller ones are tearing it up. Sunday I had only one decent quality fish, a 2.5 lb spot that jarred my cranbait so hard it felt like a hybrid when he hit. Caught several spots over 12", and some sub 15" smallmouth and largemouth. Last Tuesday nite a buddy clipped 5 bucks off me when he caught a 16" spot that was the best fish of the night between us. When Barren's turning a lot of them big fat spots come up and eat at depths where many people fish.

Cold weather ain't far away, and Barren fishes better for me during the winter than the summer. The 2 to 5 bites a day I get in mid winter are almost always 3 lbs or better.

Post Thanks / Like

barren turnover

Was looking at the COE site on Barren http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/wq/brrtext.html
    The lake has definitely now turned over. Does anyone know if the lake is still black ?as I was thinking of going there this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: barren turnover

I took the family out on Tue. and tried the coves inside Peter's Cr. near the State Park area. In between sorting out snagged lines and refereeing my boys, I managed to hydroplane a small spot in on a 1/4 rattletrap. Couldn't find any fish shallow. Saw shad schools busting near mouths of most the coves but couldn't get any takers no matter what I threw. The hybrids I could see were small. Did graph occasional lone fish (bass?) between 10-15' on a few points but no luck there either. This lake truly humbles me.
    Talked with a few other fishermen and found them to have pretty much the same luck. Only exception was a duo of guys at the ramp who said their biggest 5 would have been close to 19#s. I guess it helps to know what your doing and precisely where to do it.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: barren turnover

scaly, barren will humble anyone when fishing around turnover time. I may go this weekend, will post how i do.

Post Thanks / Like

Been down the last couple of days. I think it's close to turning over. Around the narrows the water looked somewhat darker.

---------------------------
    I'd rather be catchin! :7

Post Thanks / Like

They started pulling it today boys! Here's a link to the water level below the dam.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ky/nwis/uv...cd=00065,00060

Post Thanks / Like

They sure did start dropping Barren outflow rate jumped from 268cfs to 2268cfs. It is going to be interesting isn't it.