Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland report with questions

Fished Lake Cumberland the last 3 days, and did not do well. But I thought that it would be helpful to report anyway. Conditions were windy, cool, and it spit rain pretty much for 3 days. And the water is way down on the lake.
    Temps:Water temps were 75 degrees from the main lake all the way up the creeks until about the last bit of the creek, where the temps dropped to 74.
    Bait: Shad were easy to get in the very backs of the creeks. The thread fins were small (3-5 inches), but there were some really good gizzards that were pretty easy to get. The bait was just stacked from about 2/3 of the way back the major creeks, all of the way to the back. Put a light out at the marina, and saw no bait the first night - then saw some small bait the next night. Definitely better to go to the backs of the creeks and throw a net.
    The Fishing:
    STRIPERS:We pretty much stunk the place up. Fished for stripers with live bait on the main lake at Indian Creek. Bait and fish showed on the electronics pretty much at the 35 foot level, plus or minus 10 feet. Sometimes bait was up and down the entire water column. I found more bait and fish showing in the mouth of Beaver & Otter too. RESULTS: not a tap! Spoke to a guide friend who fished live bait, then downrigged curly tails, then pulled umbrellas. RESULTS: not a tap! Also fished one day towards the back third of the creeks where all of the bait was. RESULTS: not a tap!
    BASS: Not too hot with these guys either. A few spots were caught on small shad color crank baits off points. I saw/heard of some being caught with live bait off the points also.
    WALLEYE: We accidently caught a couple of walleyes. On the points (try Buffalo rock in Beaver) using jigging spoons and silver buddies. Sat on top of them with live shad, and got nothing. But they were definitely there. Probably a good walleye fisherman would do better.
    SUMMARY: Spent 3 full days and about $100 worth of gas on the lake. Bait is stacked in the back third of the major creeks. The water is "active", as you see and hear fish jumping around. But the bite was just lethargic at best. You may apply all of the usual excuses.
    QUESTIONS:
    1- I got the feeling that the fish were moving up the creeks, even thought the temps were 75 degrees. Does anyone else see evidence of that?
    2- Did anyone else have good luck these past 3 days?
    3- Why is it that if bait is easy to get, the fishing#####? Is it a universal law of nature?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Cumberland report with questions

I went to Cumberland Sunday morning; got there around 615 est. Only boat on lake until about daylight. Then it started. I was fishing the points for smallies and spots, or whatever would bite me, and got completely ran over by the striper boats. Don't get me wrong; I have no problem with the striper boats, because I love to catch 'em, too! I'm just wondering as bass fishermen, as everyone on the board seem to be, do you all ever have the same problem as I had Sunday? Don't really know if they hurt me fishing, but, I do know I caught some nice smallies and spots when I wasn't "running" from the striper brigade later that day when they finally decided the bite wasn't there. Like to hear some feedback on this. By the way, water temp. was 73.1 on main lake at daylght down by J-town. Found 71.4 in very back of "some" creeks in middle of day. Thanks for any response.

Post Thanks / Like

Was ya fishing main lake points or points back up in the creeks? I dont have no problems with the stripper fisherman. They usually dont like it when I am sitting way off a point in their trolling path. We all have to share the lake. Most of the time if the bass aint biting talk to them and they can give ya some pointers.

Dennis

Post Thanks / Like

Stripers is what C Land is famous for. I once heard there was over 100 full-time Striper guides that work the lake. Some of these full-time guides has multiple boats in their company. Then you have your part-time guides on top of that makes for a lot of Striper boats on the water. At $250 per 8 hour trip and the average trip is the average Joe that is only there to catch fish and not learn, there job is to get to the fish. My guess you was fishing somewhere from Jamestown to the Dam on the main lake, probably in between Beaver and Indian Creeks. This time of year the Brigade is running towards the Dam, because that is usually where you will find them, at least this is what I found. You can count on one hand the number of full-time Black Bass guides on the lake, if there are any. Usually the Brigade will not leave the dock with their patrons until it is safe light for obvious reasons. Try sitting up near Alligator I and II when they take off. Several guides are based out of these 2 marinas alone. Again, they are all heading for the most part the same part of the lake. Besides a few waves, I never had any problems with them. I used to night fish for smallies all along the same part of the lake on main lake points. Never had any close calls or anything.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

I have no proof but I feel that the more bait in the lake, the more picky the fish are.. It's the law of supply and demand.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had all kinds of boats cut between me and a point I am fishing. Striper fishermen included. I guess people feel you aren't fishing a point if you aren't fishing right on the bank..

Post Thanks / Like

It's about the time of year that the fish will move in packs in and out of the creeks. Usually more so in November for me, but they have acted strange all year, so why not now as well? I haven't been down in a few weeks, but I wouldn't rule any water out this time of year this year....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Dennis, for your reply. Let me reiterate on my comment about striper boats. If I offended anyone with my statements about striper fishermen, I apologize. Was not my intention. I have close friends that are avid striper men. I was just wondering if anyone felt like me Sunday, and almost feel like your doing something wrong by "bass" fishing, instead of "striper bass" fishing. The way I look at it is, that, if you're married with children, and it didn't cause WW111 for you to get to the lake, be happy that you are even there. Just felt a little bullied the other day. Good luck to anyone that ventures out there. On where I was; I fished both main lake points and creek points. Fish seem to like both right now. I know alot of people have "lockjaw" when it comes to telling anything they know for tournament purposes, and rightly so, but, I don't fish them, and I fish C-land quite a bit. Ask me and I'll tell ya. Hope this helps you.

Post Thanks / Like

I striper fished all day Tuesday without any luck. I saw striper activity--"jumps" for about a minute between Alligator and Caney. Saw plenty of bait fish from mid creek to the back of the creeks. Saw several guides on the main lake but they left by mid-morning. Fished the main lake area betweeen Alligator and Jamestown.

Post Thanks / Like

Mooseknuckle I have to agree with what you say regarding even being on the lake...I look at it the same way as you, married with kids, job, etc...if I'm even on the water it's already been a good day...if I catch fish it's a bonus!

Post Thanks / Like

Hope you didnt think I was offended. And I know how ya feel some days worst than others. I was just making a comment. What i truly wish is we could all get along on the water. If a tournament fisherman or whoever asks if they can fish the bank I am fishing I usually let em. But i do get a lil upset when they pull in on ya and start fishin right in front of ya. I always ask if it bothers them bfor i pull in. Sometimes they even say go ahead we can go somewhere else. I wish we were all like that. But this is the real world and there will always be some Aholes. That is not meant for u.

Drnnis

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, Dennis, I never thought you took offense to what I was saying. I am new to the board, but, I sometimes feel like alot of fishermen won't speak their mind, especially, when talking about "bass" fishing. There are more of us out there that come down to C-land for a good weekend, rather than to win a check. We deserve the same appreciation and respect as we give them. Hope it doesn't hurt "YOU BIG GUYS" feelings.