Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cedar Creek on Columbus Day

Fished Cedar Ck today for about 5 hr. boated 5 - only one decent fish (> 3#) and the other four were "shorties". water temp in the 67-68 range for most of the lake. water is DOWN for those of you that do not know, they are putting in a beach and marina. fishing was tougher than i expected as the water temp was about what i would have hoped and the skies were nice and overcast all day.
    caught fish on sammy, rico popper, spinnerbaits and a bang o lure (pretty much everything we threw!) talked to 2 other fisherman that blanked.
    here is the best part, while waiting for the ramp to clear so i could leave, i heave my sammy out along the bank - just half a#$ working it back when a 4-5# largemouth blows up on it. i feel the weight and set the hook and feel her start to surge then "pop" out comes the sammy. what a bummer for a last cast.....

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Cedar Creek on Columbus Day

Has there been any talk about a HP limit on Cedar Creek? I heard a rumor a couple of months ago that they were considering a 150 HP 18' boat limit. They need to worry about the people that take short fish out there instead. Some folks think it is a free for all and keep anything and everything.

Good fishing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It's beyond me why anyone would keep "anything and everything" they happen to get on a hook regardless of whether it's a legal keeper or not. Are people that hungry? Probably not. Do people need to prove to someone that they actually went fishing or what? I'd say it probably has something to do with their IQ level...heck, all it takes is about 12 nice sized blue gill along with some hush puppies, cold slaw and baked beans to make for a nice supper for a family of four...if 12 blue gill make enough for a meal then it should take even less nice crappie and bass...Ok, I'm gettin' off my soap box now.

Anyways, judging from what I've read on this website regarding Cedar Creek, and from considering the "luck" my neighbor down the street had at Cedar Creek earlier this year, I've just about come to the conclusion that Cedar Creek ain't all that great, at least not this year anyway...

Post Thanks / Like

I've given up hope for Cedar Creek. Between the illegal keeping, the moss and weeds, the beach and marina, the shad that are already in there, the no limit on HP, etc., etc., it has been a very big disappointment.

I thought this was a pet project of the KDFWR and they were managing it to be a trophy fishery. I think they're failing miserably.

Post Thanks / Like

All this talk of illegal fish taking...I assume those of you who mentioned it have actually witnessed it first hand?

Post Thanks / Like

I will say that the KDFWR does seem to have a fairly constant presence out there. I've been checked numerous times.

Now I'm not going around looking in people's livewells or stringers, but I have witnessed the following incidents:

1. Pulling the boat out at one of the ramps, there was a C.O. checking people. I noticed there were numerous dead blugill on the bottom of the lake sitting on the ramp. I asked the CO about it and he said the a guy who just pulled his boat out had these fish in his livewell, but decided he didn't want to keep them and let them go - of course they were all dead. I guess there's nothing illegal about that, but it's wrong.

2. CO is checking boats on the lake. He pulls up to the boat nearest to us and apparently they had some short fish. They apologized profusely and said they would never keep illegal fish and didn't know what the regs were on that lake. The CO let them go without a citation.

I haven't even been out there that much, but did see these incidents.

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Cedar Creek This past Sunday and the Sunday before. There was at least a 4 foot drop over the week. I thought that might get the fish active. Caught 5-8 small ones both outings on plastics. Did catch a 2.5 pounder at the end of the last day. I don't know what a horse power restriction will do to help the lake, as I don't think its the people with bigger motors keeping all the fish they catch. I also think the folks keeping their fish on Cedar are not the type who are on the internet checking out this web-site. If the keeping of short fish is in fact a problem, the best way to prevent it would be for KDFWR to start checking coolers and livewells and having the word get out in the community that there is serious enforcement going on.

Post Thanks / Like

I also forgaot to mention, that based on the stench at the dam Sunday, I cannot imagine the idea of eating a fish caught out of there. Anybody else notice the horrible odor near the dam?

Post Thanks / Like

Fishrgurl - The information you shared is good enough for me. If I were like you and had not visited the lake very much and what little I did visit I happened to see illegal fish taking, I too would assume there's a problem there and the KDFWR needs to crack down on it...you know what they say, one hangin' is good for miles around. I hope KDFWR employee's check out this website and take note of what has been mentioned here...

Post Thanks / Like

I fished there 10 or 11 times between April and June and I did see bank fisherman keeping small bass. The limit is "1" 20" fish. I don't have an issue with someone wanting to keep 1 nice bass and a mess of bluegill and crappie to eat. Just stay within the legal limits. I did mention the size and creel limit to the guy that I witnessed and he said he did'nt care. And he had 6 or 7 bass in the 12 to 15" range on a stringer.

As for a HP limit. I hope that they don't put one on that lake. I for one have never seen anyone doing any bonzi runs from one end to the other.( not saying it don't happen. I just have'nt seen it ) Besides I've seen plenty of 18' boats with 150s that can run as fast as my 20 footer with a 225. So a size and HP limit would not solve anything if there was an issue. I just heard a rumor and was asking if there was anything to it. I just don't want to see one I like that lake in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

If this lake is supposed to be what they call a "Trophy Lake", or a "Fishermans Paradise" why on earth are they putting in a beach? What is that going to do? This is absolutely pitiful. Instead of a hp limit they need to stop letting all the #$^& pontoons and runabouts on the lake. Every time I go down there most of the boats are pontoons or runabouts that dont even have a TROLLING MOTOR. Those are not fisherman. I think they have strayed from their original path, and I don't see Cedar Creek going anywhere but down from here. Since last year the fishing has taken a serious downfall. As far as a marina, I think it's rediculous.

Post Thanks / Like

I really don't think that many people are keeping short bass, but I do think a lot of people are keeping too many bluegill and a lot of short crappie. The crappie are supposed to be 9" and I've only caught 1 that was right at 9". It seems like all the crappie have been at 7" for 3 years now.