Search Fishin.com

Thread: LC Stripers

Post Thanks / Like

LC Stripers

I travel almost a hundred miles (one way) at least once and sometimes twice a month to Striper fish on LC. Needless to say it is expensive. I would like to trade info with anyone that fishes for stripers on a regular basis. I catch fish on a fairly regular basis to be an amateur. I appreciate the guides reports but find them lacking in detail, which is understandable. I have taken 4 guided trips learning about Stripers and the guide I went with was super.
    I will share specific location, bait, & depth. I fished Oct. 12 with a little success. I will be glad to share info if anyone is interested. This is my first post, I apologize for the length.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: LC Stripers

How ya doing EZ? My wife and I started striper fishing about 3 years ago on Raystown Lake in PA. We're basicly in the same boat you are. We've been out with the local guides a few times and learned a little, caught a few stripers on our own but are still rookies. I've been working on learning to throw the cast net to catch my own shad for bait. Raystown Lake has gizzard shad and alwife which are both great striper bait. The problem I've found is that these baits are harder to keep alive then they are to catch. Over the summer we caught a few stipers trolling white bucktail jigs with 4" shad body trailers. Karen and I each caught 19+ pounders in August. Now that was fun. I'm new to this board but I'll be checking in on a regular basis now. I look forward to swapping stories and tips with everyone reading here.
    Good Fishing
    Ralph

Post Thanks / Like

Couple of pointers for you. The main bait on Cumberland is the Alewife. Most times, that is what the stripers are targeting. Late fall after the lake turns over (usually around T-giving), Gizzards may be the target. When Alewifes are getting hard to keep, a lot of people use shiners or suckers. Shiners are also used in the winter during the real cold times.

The lake seems to pattern well. That is, if you are marking fish/bait on the outside bends of the main channel around Wolf, you'll likely see them in a similar location around Indian Creek, Beaver Creek, etc. Keep a log of where you find them (location and depth) this year. That will give you a starting point for next year.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I fished Sat. pulling boards on the main lake outside of Jamestown going towards the dam without any luck. Saw several guide boats in the general area. Fished the mouth of Wolfe Friday without any luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I am from PA and would be glad to share striper advise with you Hot Dog. I have been fishing Stripers for about 10 years and still find new things, but I remember what it was like to start off. You can email me anytime - steve_little01@msn.com