Search Fishin.com

Thread: Keel Guard Help

Post Thanks / Like

Keel Guard Help

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-16-05 AT 09:03PM (EST)[/font][p]How hard is it to put on a keel guard? I have had many people tell me to have a dealer do it.....is it that difficult? What do I have to do to prep my boat to do it myself (19' Startos) and are there any special recommendations or tricks that I should know about? Also....what color should I buy if the hull of my boat is off white?

Thanks for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Keel Guard Help

I have installed a Keel Guard brand protector before with little difficulty. There is very little preparation to the hull and it stuck very well. I think the Hamby's probably require professional installation. I have had both with good service from each.

Post Thanks / Like

i HAVE USED THE keelguard BRAND all you do is use a pad the provide to scuff the whole area then wipe off with aclcohol and stick it real easy if some one else changes your oil dont do this but if you can then it should be fine

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-05 AT 10:10AM (EST)[/font][p]I was told it took two sets of hands to install a keel guard...I found it very easy to do it myself and I do not change my own oil. Hardest part is the elbow grease involved in the preparation of the hull...Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

It's a DIY proect. I applied a Keelguard to my 18 foot Stratos.
    The most important step is the prep on the hull. Don't be afraid. If I could do it anyone can.

Post Thanks / Like

To do the keelguard correctly, you will need a vacuum pump and a air hammer to pull the keelguard to the hull. And yes prep is also very important. I have installed many of these and been trained by the manufacture.

Post Thanks / Like

I just put one on my NX750 last week, it's not too complicated, the hardest part for me was holding it up while I took a marker and outlined it on my hull....here's a trick that I used, I took some really strong tape and taped it on my keel the night before then took some painters tape and outlined the whole thing and left all of it on the whole night to help it form to the shape of my hull...the next morning I took a razor and went around the outline and left the tape on, then done all the scuffing and wiping. Leaving the tape on gives you a better reference line to go by when you apply it with the adhesive, plus you don't get anything on the other sides of your boat. After that go get your Marine sealant and put a small bead all around the edges.

Hope this helps,