Search Fishin.com

Thread: Fall Pattern

Post Thanks / Like

Fall Pattern

As people start to talk about "the fall pattern" I was wandering just what that means to diffrent people. What kind of patterns produce for you in the fall, on what lakes? What are the fish supposed to be doing.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Fall Pattern

Drock,

Fall patterns for me usually mean the fish have moved back in the bays and can be caught on many different presentations. I think fall fishing is one of the toughest fishing seasons of all. I have caught a lot of fish under schools of shad on spinnerbaits, jigs and curley tail grubs, lipless crankbaits, just about anything that mimics small shad.

It does seem that fish really spread out a lot during the fall. Every now and then I've found schools of bass, but it seldom happens for me.

However, there are a lot of very succesful fall fishermen, I know, they've taken my money in tournaments many times.

Good luck,

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly, I fish bays and pockets fast with crankbaits. I like to cover a lot of water. Fall is one of my favorite times to fish but then I'm a fisherman who likes to keep moving. When I find a crankbait they like I'll usually catch fish all day on it. They have to be really reluctant to bite a crank before I'll switch in the fall.

Post Thanks / Like

What is your favorite crankbait and color in the Fall?

Post Thanks / Like

Can't say that I have one favorite. Right now it depends on a lot of factors. Since Barren has definitely turned over, fish can be at any depth. If you look at this COE site http://www.lrl.usace.army.mil/wc/wq/brrtext.html you can see that after turnover the temps and O2 readings are exactly the same at every depth. So I use deep, medium, and shallow until I locate them. Also water clarity plays a big role. If the water is clear I use natural colors with a narrow wobble, if murky I use dark/chartreuse colors with a wider wobble and rattle.