Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Pickwick Lake & Wilson Lake Alabama

I posted this on the AL board but did not get any responses, so I thought I try here. Can anyone give me any info on Pickwick and Wilson Lakes in Alabama? Heading down the end of the month and have never been there before. Looking for general info for Bass, LM, SM and Spots. seasonal patterns, bait selections and any other useful info. Thanks in advance for any help!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Pickwick Lake & Wilson Lake Alabama

I assume you are going out of Florence. Make sure you stay in the marked channel on Pickwick when you are running its worse than Barkeley. Fished both in June I liked Wilson, lots of Docks to throw at. Pickwick in that area is more like a river with lots of current if they are generating. The tourney we fished was won in Wheeler its full of grass. As far as lures we used the same stuff we use here. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Pickwick Lake & Wilson Lake Alabama

At Wheeler, Wilson, or Pickwick the bite is all about current. If they are generating power, the fish bite, if not they don't, at least not nearly as well. The best time to fish any of those lakes is during the week when they're making power.

If you go out of McFarland in Florence, try going as far toward the dam as you are comfortable with and drift fish the other side of the lake(more like a river in width and current)all the way down past the bluffs across from the ramp. If the fish are cooperating it'll be fun, if not go down river to the area they call the rock line and fish that area around the rocks for smallies, or fish the left side of that island across from the rock line for some spot-a-saurs and the occassional largemouth.

Pay attention downstream while you're drifting, the current is very strong and you'll tear off your TM if you hang it on anything. Be careful around the rock line, you'll see locals running hard inside the main rock line out of the marked channel, I'd strongly recommend you resist the temptation to do so yourself.

Them boys down there don't get real excited unless a brown fish is over 7. They didn't show me much love down at McFarland when I showed them a 5-10 smallie I was holding in the well while looking for a disposable cam to get a pic before turning her loose. A few years ago my buddy caught a 6-3 smallie below the Wheeler dam on Wilson, and the locals were not near impressed as we were.