Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Need Barkley Info

I'll be down that way this coming weekend. I probably will put in at Devils Elbow Ramp or somewhere near there. If you wanted to crappie fish where would you start at? The same goes for bass fishing. I haven't been there in probably 15 to 20 years. If the wind blows hard where would you try? I don't know the lake and I'm sure it's near winter pool. I sure in the heck don't want to run over anything. Is the Little River area close by and is it protected from high winds?

Thanks.......Larry

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Need Barkley Info

Little River isn't far from Devils Elbow, just north on the lake past the 68 bridge and Little River will be on the right a couple miles up the lake. Lots of protection in there and some good fishing too.

You may want to try some of the bays and creeks south of there. Try Donaldson and Fords creeks. Donaldson has a road bed the runs across the bay just after you enter you get inside the creek mouth with lots of brushpiles on it. Get a Hotspot map and find it with electronics, follow it out until yoy pick up some piles and mark them.

Fords has good structure too. That section of the lake can be awesome in both spring and fall.

Be very careful running the lake that time of year, with the low water levels many places you could run before will be hazardous. Stay well inside the buoys when running and if your not sure where you are at any time, stop the boat. Make sure you know ahead of time how to approach creek openings and how to read the buoys for the creek mouths. I know several guys that know that lake pretty good that have beached themselves and/or tore up props in the fall. Be safe and good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Need Barkley Info

Great ideas below, just a warning, the water is down. Be very careful coming out of devil's elbow, if launching on the east side. I've fished out of there a few times this summer, and the channel out to the main lake is not very well marked and there are a lot of snags sticking up. Even with the water 2 or 3 feet higher, I found I was a little reluctant to run wide open at first. After a couple of in and outs, I was able to follow my path on the gps, that helped a lot.

I'm planning to try a little fishing Wednesday if possible, I'll post any results if I do get to get on the water. I was planning to spend the night and fish Thursday too, but have an interview. See Jim was right, all ready cutting into fishing time.

Danny