Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BFL or BASS???

Post Thanks / Like

BFL or BASS???

can anyone give me some advice on which one I should fish in next year as a co-angler?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: BFL or BASS???

oz,

That is going to depend a whole lot on you. Check out both trails, and see which one will fit the needs you have.

For instance, when I looked at the BASS weekend series last year, for KY anglers, there were really not a lot of offers. If I looked at the BFL, and fished the LBL division, all the tournaments on on the two lakes, and tends to have a lot of locals doing well.

I liked the BASS because it went to several different lakes. That means even if the locals won the tournament, you still had a great shot at AOY if you were able to do well on many different lakes.

One last thought, you said you were going as a co-angler, it won't be long until going as the "pro" is going to depend upon which boat brand you own. FLW Outdoors (owns and opperates BFL) make it clear that their objective is to sell boats.

Sorry, off on a tangent. Wouldn't it be great if the PAA gets big and opperates a tournament trail where your boat brand doesn't matter, and they then roll that out to the weekend guys too? Dang, there I went again... LOL

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Oz,
    As a non-Ranger owner I am a very happy and satisfied participant in FLW Outdoors events. The BFL offers a great opportunity for Anglers or Co-Anglers to fish a well-run circuit on lakes that you want to fish. This past year was the first year on the boater's side and I felt no pressure to buy a Ranger nor did I feel looked down upon for not owning one. Would I like to be in a new Z-22 Ranger with a Yamaha, you bet, but for now I fish out of my piece of crap and hung with the big boys by quailifing for the regional championship. Not to mention the new BASS/Triton relationship (with Brunswick in the mix of course) is no different. The difference in the trails; FLW Outdoors is a family friendly operation that cares about the fisherman and makes them feel wanted and appreciated. Believe me, FLW Outdoors will be the elite tournament organization within the next couple years. By the way, I had a friend to compete in the new BASS weekend series and even qualified for their regional championship..He is a Triton guy but will be back to the BFL next year. No competion...FLW knows how to do this, afterall they are the largest tournament organization on the plantet and things are only getting better. Check out the increased payback schedule for the 2006 season....impressive...I hope you make an informed decision and good luck.
    Zach Kirby

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you live? That might make some difference in your decision, especially since gas prices are going to make decisions for most in 2006. I have fished both BFL and the new BASS weekend series---both as a boater. I liked them both. I have fished the Hoosier Div. since 1995 and after looking at the 2006 schedule---I can say, I don't particularly like it. I liked it much more when they had all 5 tourney's on the River. But, that's just personal preference. Then you have the BASS 2006 Weekend series---going to Carrollton,Brandenburg,Lake Cumberland and Barren. It's a toss-up for me. Might do a couple in either one and see how it goes. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

bassnz, The American Bass Anglers (ABA) is larger then all of FLW/Everstart/BFL, and B.A.S.S. combined. The ABA has more participants then all of them. There are over 120 district with close to 1100 tournaments a year. This year through the nationals the ABA paid back 132% in cash and prizes.
    This in no way is to say the the Operation Outdoors circuts are not good, because they are, as well as BASS. The number of anglers fishing ABA as well as any of the other circuts are closely guarded, this information comes from what we directors were told at our directors meetings at the nationals. Granted our local tournaments are small, but they all add up. The thing that drew me into the ABA is the level playing field and the fact that we are a draw tournament trail. We also offer, bring a boat use a boat all the way up to the nationals. $55.00 entry fees, tournaments close to home, most do not require an over night stay, pay at the ramp the morning of the tournament and much more. Check out www.americanbassangler.com for more information. Almost forgot non-boaters are always welcome, and yes you will get the front of the boat 1/2 the day to fish your waters! Sorry I went on so long.
    George Salov
    Director District 87
    American Bass Angles

Post Thanks / Like

Where's the nationals at in 2006 and what are the dates for the national championship. How many do you have in your div.?

Post Thanks / Like

Being that you said you were going as a co-angler I'll offer what I have found. I was trying to decide which one to fish for next year and have decided to fish the BFL. I could fish as a boater but have decided to do one more year as a co-angler. The reason I chose the BFL is because BASS is still going to use the shared weight for co-anglers again this year. I don't feel like I or any other co-anglers are getting a fair deal if I have to rely on my boater to catch fish. I don't think it is fair if I come in with the largest bag on the co-angler side but get beat because someone comes in with one keeper and their boater has a heavier weight than me and I get beat. It should be boater against boater and co-angler against co-angler.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

mark, ABA is in the process of considering a nationals divisional a north and a south then the finals, with the considerations they are making right now they have not released the site of next years nationals, they say it will be released in december but I hope they hold it off longer to avoid local jackpotting, unless they are coming to ky then its okay with me. My hypocricy knows no means.

Post Thanks / Like

You know--the bad thing is BASS told us at the Old Hickory tourney, they were doing away with the "shared weight" program in 2006. They said it caused way too much controversey. So, I checked the website and sure enough---rules take effect on Jan 1, 2006----says rule 17---shared weight! That's crazy!!

Post Thanks / Like

NEITHER

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, I have had as many as 29 and as few as 5 boats. This is only the start of my 3rd year with the ABA. I have 49 members in my district. I'm hoping that most will fish this year. Plapp's is helping in the promotion of the ABA, and for that I thank them. The district in central Ky, draws 25-35 and the Ky lake district draws 30-40. This district goes out of Paris Landing most of the time, I think of it as more of a Tenn District.

The nationals location is known but on hold. The powers to be are waiting on another major sponsor to come on board. If this all gets put together we may just see a regional format. If it becomes too late things will stay the same as the past and the site will be announced. One of the things I like about the ABA is their dedication towards the weekend, working hard for their money angler. Morris will NOT do anything that would put additional burden on us, and for that I thank him. The ABA is working hard and is on the verge of BIG things. The day is coming soon when there is going to be some REAl money at the nationals. Rumor has it 1st place might be worth 50-100m in lue of a boat. Low entry fee's, no guides, no pro's..
    Hope too see you soon..
    George Salov

Post Thanks / Like

CURIOUS?

You don't like the Ohio River,BASS or BFL----HMMMM???? Do you fish in tourney's and which do you like?