Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Today on Rough.....

Well I drove down to Rough this morning (10-21-05) in rain and fog, burning a vacation day before I loose it. While waiting to drop my heap (boat) into the the lake I had the opportunity to pass words with one of the local coservation officers, and he told me that they have just upgraded the raiting of the lake from good to excelent for bass. I jujst recently started fishing the lake on a regular bass, and I have to say I can see why they are of that opinion. Although that elusive monster bass I've been looking for evaded me once again, I did manage to tap a few of his cousins through out the day.
    I started off arround 10:00 am slow rolling a quad-shad but nothing materialized and soon started throwing a wattermellon-seed lizzard to shallow cover. This soon paid off when I manged to land a quality fish off one of the still floating private docks in 3-4 feet of watter. That was followed up by a smaller fish moments later in some adjacent shallow rocky cover. This proved to be the pattern for the rest of the day.
    Around 1 o’clock packed up am moved on around to the western end of the North Fork to the mouth of George Branch and caught a few decent fish off of a long shallow point that sloped into some deep water. Several times while fishing this spot I saw several large hybrids jumping of the southern side of this point that helped form a huge bay. Although they did peek my curiosity I stayed focused on my task.
    With the conditions deteriorating as the day wore on the fishing remained consistent. By the time I loaded the boat there was a steady rain and a stiff wind.
    Hoped I provided any one fishing the lake this weekend some help on where to locate the fish and what they might be after. Remember to throw em back... That is unless you come across that elusive monster bass.

Keep on chuckn'

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Today on Rough.....

nice report. wish i could take advantage of it. got to work on the "honey-do list" this weekend. thanks, hope someone else gets a chance to go after the "big-un".

Post Thanks / Like

Put that elusive monster back after you catch her and maybe there will be more of them in the future for everyone to enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like

right on, dave. get measurements, weight, picture, etc., and get a plastic one for the wall. besides, they last a lot longer than the stuffed ones.

Post Thanks / Like

stonewall

Thanks for the report. I am glad to hear the fishing is good at Rough. I will be there the next two weekends for three days at a time. Hope it holds up. That biggun has eluded me too at Rough this year......we will get em.

Buck

Post Thanks / Like

I may have to try it before it gets too cold. I only live about 30 mins from rough, so it isn't a bad trip for me at all. Thanks for a great report.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry to get a little off the topic, but what are all the measurements needed to have a replica made? I hope to someday soon need this information!!

Post Thanks / Like

Length and girth and a photo would be helpful if you want a true representation of color. But look at it this way, once the fish is back in the water who's to say it's not identical.....

Post Thanks / Like

BardstownFish

I have also been told to measure width of tail and mouth along with length and girth.

Buck

Post Thanks / Like

I understand where you are comming from Dave, and have to tell you first and foremost that I have never kept a fish, I throw them ALL back. That being said, I do intend to keep a fish in the future, if it meets certain criteria. I believe in being a good steward of the waters I fish and respect and adhere to the concept of catch, photograph, and release. I do not howerver condem someone for keeping a high quality fish for a trophy. What is the harm in doing so? True this fish may produce many fish in the future, but how limited is that future? Would you rather toss a trophy class fish back into the water, only to have it cought and released a few more times before it goes belly up? The problem is with people keeping short fish and fish that are cought that barely exceded the minimum size limit. Those are the fish that need to be returned because their spawning potential far exceeds that of a large older fish, not to mentioned the comparitavely minimal effect on the ammount of forage available. I respect your attitude about throwing them all back, but what is the danger of me keeping that big-un' if it is the only fish I have kept in 10 years?

-Keep on chuckin'

Post Thanks / Like

The way I look at it is this: That fish got that big because it was in her genes...ie..hereditary.....if you mount her that is less fish that will get the same genes passed on to some of her fry. Your choice to keep her if you want, my choice not to do so.

Post Thanks / Like

Me and my fishing partner fished Rough today (10-24-05)
    We caught around 100 fish on crankbaits with top five
    fish weighing around 18 lbs. My big fish was between
    6 1/2 and 7 lbs. John's big fish was about 3 1/2 lbs.
    I know some will find it hard to believe a day like
    this on Rough! It was the best day we ever had up
    there. Fished large chunk rock and boulder banks with
    200 series Bandit crankbaits.

Tight lines
    Calvin