Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

courtesy docks on Corp Lakes

After reading one of the other post about ramps at draw down, I thought I would throw this idea out. I am sure there are enough folks that use this board, that if we all wrote in and requested at least one floating ramp for winter use on corp lakes just may be some one at Louiseville would wake up and listen. Although this would be a long shot. I have been having some serious doubts about the corp mission of serving the publics needs. A case in point being closing the camp grounds so early in the season this was the last week end at Baily's [point but most of the camp had been closed since labor day and the camp attendants were catching all the flack when diappointed campers show up on a friday to find there are only 50 or so sites out of more than 150 that could be available. You would think that if the campground is full they could use the extra money generated during October. with all the folks RVing now, camping has become year round and early fall is great weather here in KY so why waste the resource. well let me step off my soap box, but we do need the floating ramps for safty if nothing else.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: courtesy docks on Corp Lakes

I too think it would be great since the docks & I'm thinking of Barren right now are high & dry of no use to anybody. But personally I do not think the corps really cares about you & me as fisherman or the general public for that matter. The corps being a bureaucracy simply goes by their book, doing what they do, no matter what, whether it makes sense ot not & things that make common sense they just forget about. They will not listen to fishery biologists who have said in the past it would help Barren to leave more water in the lake over the winter, but every year I still see the plug pulled & only mud bottoms to show for it. So if they won't listen to folks who work for the State of Kentucky, they certainly won't listen to the little guy who pays their salary. Better shut up now, bib brother may be listening.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: courtesy docks on Corp Lakes

If you want to get really ticked off go to some of the corps lakes in tenn. They have floating docks with ramps that slide up and down a track as the lake levels change. My launch permit is good at these lakes as well. I asked our local corps officers at barren about this once and I wanted to know if tenn is part of the same army as they are. That didnt go over very well and they said to take it up with the louisville district because they appropriate the money as they see fit no matter where it is collected at.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: courtesy Corp Lakes

Hey, Justfishin! Just got done having it weighed! It went 0.04 pounds, doubling the old Log Perch record. I was just about to declare the glory of beating a record by twice. (A Muskie would have to be 88 3/4 pounds. A 43 pound Walleye would double the record.)
    But I need to take up for the army corps of engineers. I don't know what they do all day long, but I hope they're putting their heads together. We need the best and the brightest to throw their efforts into the best plan regarding the rebuilding of the coast. Floating docks would be nice, but lets wait til next year.