Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

MarkW, or any Federation Director....

Hey guys, I need some help...

To whom can I complain about the Federation's mandatory requirement that you belong to BASS in order to fish with a club that is affiliated with the federation?

The reason I ask, I have been very displeased with the direction BASS has gone, and the magazine is becoming even worse. Every article is now a marketing article. No longer are there truly just how to, or informational articles, but each is turned into an advertisment. I'd love to have the option to fish Federation affiliated clubs without having to pay for someone to push advertising down my throat.

Maybe those who wish to be affiliated with the federation, but not bass, can be allowed to do so, but just not be allowed to compete for spots on the state team?

Heck, I'd even be willing to pay my federation dues and not be allowed to fish a federation qualifying tournament, but would prefer the option if I wanted to.

Maybe those who fish the qualifiers that don't belong to BASS could place, but be skipped over for the qualifying process?

The reason I put those stipulations in is because I realize federation anglers can make it to the Classic, although I would bet there are many that don't really have that desire.

Now before anyone says or asks, how can I say any fisherman doesn't have the desire to make it to the classic? Let me ask, what is the total membership number of the KY federation, and what is the average number of anglers fishing their quailifiers?

Thanks for any help as to who I can send my request to, prefferable national as well as state.

Thanks...

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

RE: MarkW, or any Federation Director....

Danny,
    I am not a director anymore, as my 3 year term was up at the end of last year. Go to www.kybassfed.com and look up Donnie's contact info or anybody elses you choose. Not to get into all of the specifics about the politics,direction of BASS, etc. etc. The main reason you have to be a member of BASS----they hold your clubs insurance---exact dollar amount, I am not sure of. Seems to me it's $100,000. If there is an incident that involves an insurance issue during a club event-----BASS has you covered. That's the bottom line. Whether you like BASS or not---your dues to BASS is actually keeping you safeguarded. Hope that makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mark,

That was interesting about the insurance thing. The reason I say that is that unless I am mistaken, doesn't BASS say you have to have a minimum amount of insurance to fish one of their events, and that you have to be able to prove you have the insurance?

I may be getting the rules of different organizations confused, but I know you will know since you fished the BASS events.

Thanks again Mark, I really appreciate it. And, I do appreciate your wishing to remain neutral in regard to this issue and the politics of it all.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Danny I checked the KBF site and the entry says you must have liability insurance but didnt specify the amount also FLW says
    "you must carry a resonable amount of liability"
    I've always carried 300,000. liability for draw tourneys and that is probably not enough, but I think FLW outdoors used to require that amount?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Vmaxx >)))^((">

Post Thanks / Like

Danny,

I am one of the KBF directors for region 3. IMO the reason BASS membership is mandatory is because of the 5 spots in the BASS Classic reserved for the Federation. As long as BASS reserves those spots in the classic for Federation anglers, BASS membership will be mandatory in any state's Federation. As you may know, most Federation members are in it to make the state team and go on to have a shot at the superbowl of bass fishing.

If you make the state team, you fish on the 12 person Kentucky team against Al, Ga, Fl, etc in the southern regional. Finish first on your team in the regional tournament and you fish the national federation tournament. Finish first in your region in the national tourney, and you're going to the Classic.

As far as insurance, all clubs that belong to the KBF are covered under a 1 million dollar liability policy during all club sanctioned events. As an officer in a bass club in today's lawsuit happy society that makes me feel a lot better. The insurance alone more than justifies the $30 a year KBF membership fee.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Danny, didn't completely answer your questions. Last year's Barren qualifier drew just over 175 anglers, Barkley/Ky just over 200, Yatesville and Brandenburg drew less. The top 20 in each of the 4 qualifiers (Locations of the T's vary) are eligible to fish the state champ T. So for example, you would need to beat 155 anglers to qualify at Barren. The remaining spots in the state champ T are made up those finishing the highest in the points/wildcard system, and the previous year's state champ tournament winner.

The KBF state championship field is 102, so you'd need to beat 89 anglers to make the team. Actually the team is made up of 13 including one alternate angler to stand in if someone from the top 12 can't make it.

BTW, next year's state tournament will be in region 3, likely on Barren, Green, or Cumberland depending on how the clubs in that region vote.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks DH, and....

Thanks Jim,

I have no problem supporting our state federation, what I don't want to support is the BASS organization as a whole.

I don't like the direction they have taken, and I wish to not support them with MY money. Now I would like the option to fish the federation affiliated clubs, such as the SOKY, and that is why I suggested some of the possible solutions, such as paying the KY federation dues, but either not being able to compete in the federation qualifiers, or not being able to qualify for the state team, but still fish the tournament just for the fun of it and the friendships that are formed.

One other thing, I am very happy to see that you guys can draw nearly 200 entrants to your tournaments (federation qualifiers), now is that two hundred people, or is that two hundred boats? I am sure you probably said, but in the middle of posting this, I have forgotten.

Then finally, what is the total membership for the KY bass federation?

I'm not trying to "have to be right" but I still think there are many more members of the KY federation than those that fish the qualifiers. If I am wrong, I want to know. If there are only 450 state federation members, and 400 of them fish the tournaments, I'll gladly admit how wrong I am, but I suspect many others beside myself would gladly suppor the state fed, and choose to not support BASS.

Now I want to make it perfectly clear, I am not trying to cause or make trouble, I am just wanting options, options that currently do not exist. Had BASS not made the type of moves they have in the past, and if the magazine had not made all the changes to its format that it has, I would not even bring this up.

Thanks Jim, I do appreciate your help.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jim-----oops--$1,000,000 is a bigger difference than $100,000. LOL!!!! Those numbers are just too big for me anyway---I just knew BASS covered a large amount for the insurance.
    Danny,
    When I fished the BASS Weekend Series, I had to have $300,000 liability and I only had $100,000. Changed it to $300,000 about 2 days before the first tourney. Out of everybody there----only two people got checked for their insurance-----you guessed it---I was one of them. Thank God I read the rules and had my insurance changed and had the printed out proof---or I would have been sent home, not able to fish that event.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Thanks DH, and....

Danny,
    One other thing----the amount you pay for dues to the Federation and BASS is very little. Even though you don't like BASS---they do provide your club with insurance and I feel the little amoutn fo the dues is well worth that. Also, to answer your question---right now, there is no other option unless you choose not to fish the federation. BTW---if your club is a member of BASS and the Federation---that inusrance covers you all at every tournament---not just the qualifiers that the KBF has. I would hate to see how much a million dollar policy would be if a club decided to go out and purchase that themselves and not be a part of BASS. Just something to think about.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks V, and....

Hey, I appreciate the help. I checked the BASS weekend series rules, and you have to carry $300,000 liability insurance per accident. Prove of coverage must be carried as there will be random checks and anyone not having proof of in affect insurance covering the person using the boat will be DQed.

I may be barking up the wrong tree here anyway. I don't see any support from others about wanting to belong to the federation and not belong to BASS. I wonder what happens if the federation ever makes a partnership with FLW, and perhaps the new PAA too? Will they then require anglers to have membership in all three organizations? What would happen if they were to ever make an affiliation with any other organization, how about the ABA? Now granted, those are all probably inprobably, but what if???

As I said though, the idea hasn't really garnered much support, so I guess maybe I should just be forced into spending my money in ways I don't want to, just so I can fish a club that I choose, and that in return chooses me back.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent Mark.....

Would have been ashame to have been sent home after making that trip and having your expectations already set high and be so pumped.

I do feel I need to say one thing, I was prepared to renew my bass membership and become a life time member about 6 months ago. I was unable to do so, as it is no longer an option apperently. Since that time, the changes have accelerated and the writing in the magazine has deteriorated, in my opinion. Now that does not mean every article, just enough of them that I have changed my mind.

I do appreciate both you and Jim, and of course Vmaxx, for taking the time to answer and try to help.

Danny

PS, it even goes further than BASS in my opinion. If you go to he college basketball page on ESPN.com, half of the articles you have to buy a membership to ESPN insider. Add to that the fact that now you have to also buy an additional membership to BASS insider to have access to much of what is on the internet.

I always felt that BASS members should have access to extra stuff on the internet, but now that is not good enough. Now you have to not only be a member but pay another fee on top of that, and I am thinking it was nearly $60 the one time I really explored that option.

I guess I am just feeling I am getting nickle and dimed to death.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Thanks V, and....

Danny,
    It looks like nowadays we all have to spend money on things we do not want and to top that off---the rates keep getting higher and the quality keeps getting less. Seems to be the American way---charge more for less! Hate to see it go this way, but it is. Many changes have taken place since ESPN has taken over and that's why I said in my original post I wasn't getting into all of the politics, etc. etc. I think when it comes to fishing,tournaments,boats,circuits,clubs,etc. etc.---you have to pick what fits you best,like budget,travel distance,people involved etc. etc.---kind of like your post about Nitro boats. But I seriously doubt you are going to find any that fits to your liking in every way. There are ups and downs to everything in life. Also----about the money issue and BASS---always remember---follow the money---wherever it goes---so does the people. BTW---that holds true to life in almost all aspects.