Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

HOW DID YOU GET YOUR FIRST BOAT

I have been want to get a boat for a while and I was wonder how you all got your first. Was the boat used or new ? Did you save up money to buy it? Did you borrow money from a bank or relative?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: HOW DID YOU GET YOUR FIRST BOAT

My first boat was a 15' semi v that I put decks and a live well in I was 15 and paid cash ..... My first bass boat was a 89 fiberglass bass tracker with a 90hp(now for sale buy the way)and i had traded and sold and worked on 20 other boats to get there but i paid cash for it... A little advice if you are an occasional user a new boat is not only a bad investment but a bad choice unless it is a buy new, keep forever deal. used boats are a smarter deal and most are affordable
    My 2 cents

Post Thanks / Like

First boat was a 14 ft. john boat with only a trolling motor, it didn't take long for that to get old. Next, My uncle passed away and I bought his Alumacraft Bandit ftom his widow. This was a great boat and I won several tournaments in it. I sold it to a friend who still has it, when I moved to Chicago. I have also owned some used fiberglass bass boats (Winner 200 Yamaha,Hydra sports 225 evinrude) and now own an 89 stratos 201 pro with a 225 evinrude. All these boats were used when I got them and I have done extensive improvements and restoration on them. To me it's worth it because I love tinkering with stuff.

The only recommendation I have is to make sure and test drive and also have a professional look at the outboard and lower unit.

Post Thanks / Like

My first boat will be a kayak and I'm saving up to pay cash for it. I hope to buy it around or shortly after Christmas.

Post Thanks / Like

My first and only boat is the 96 stratos i now have,a 295pro with a 200 johnson.I bought it new paid 21,000 for it,got talked into the 12 yr loan and it was the wrong thing yeah you can pay it off early if you stick to that but i didn't this boat cost me out the #$$#@@.buy a good used that has lost the sticker shock save up and if you finance don't put taxes etc in the loan and cut the loan as short on years as you can afford i could have cut 4 years off mine by paying extra 75 a month but at 22years old and wanting a new boat not making alot of money you don't look at those things.
    whisker

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine from a repo lot and payed $9000 i had a mechanic check the motor and had a test ride before buying the boat, 10 years later i sold it for $8000...pretty good deal. One thing for sure make sure you get plenty of motor for the boat, Don't fall for the under powered boats because it will cost you an arm and a leg to upgrade the motor later on.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought mine off of ebay. Luckily the person selling it was only 1 hour away. So I got to drive and look at it before buying it. It was a 18-1/2 skeeter w/150 yamaha. Only advise I can give you is buy the exact boat that you want the first time and don't settle for anything else. I still wish that I went ahead and bought a 21 foot boat because they're not getting any cheaper. Your best bet is find a good used boat that has been well taken care of and garage kept.

Post Thanks / Like

First boat was/is a 2003 Tracker Pro V17 with a 90 Merc. bought new off the showroom floor at Bass Pro in Cincinnati, June 2003. Took a road trip from Frankfort to Cincy to buy some new fishing rods, reels, tackle etc to use in the farm ponds that I usually fish. Wife tagged along to stop at a scrapbooking store that she heard about. I went to use the restroom, which you have to walk thru the boat showroom, to get to the facilities and I come out and my honey is talking to a boat salesman. She is looking at a boat that will barely hold my big behind and I tell her we were not there to buy a boat besides it is too small anyway. He then brings up the Pro V17 which is out in the parking lot and off we go. I am not interested for I never owned a boat before so I have her and the salesman both trying to sell me a boat. Yes I know I have the best wife on the planet and she proved it more that day. Saying that I deserve it, that I love to fish and it would be good for me to have one. Besides she say, "You have to spend you bonus check on something anyway, might as well be a boat" Bye Bye Bonus check(But at least it is paid for), Hello Black Hole. Picked up my boat 2 weeks later and had the guy that showed me the ropes tell me the only thing I ever heard in my life that has been 100% TRUE. He said "One of the 2 most happiest days in a mans life, the day you get your boat and the day you sale your boat, for the rest of the time you are just sinking money into a Black Hole" How true, $17,000 for boat, tackle box #1 then #2 then #3 all becuause I keep accumulating tackle, spinnerbait box, plastics bag, spinning rods, cranking rods, flipping rods, fnf rods, reels for all, Striper rods, planer boards, cold weather gear, night time gear, rain gear....... see the Black Hole that is developing. Started with 2 rods, small tackle box fishing farm ponds now 17 rods, 80 lb of tackle fishing Ky Lake, Cumberland, Dale Hollow big difference all for a HOBBY. Catch and Release everything except Stripers over 15lb and Walley (Table Food) but don't fish for either very often. Fished 2 tourneys in my life skunking in one, winning the other(very small tourney but massive $114 first prize money) Would not change anything.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

My first boat is my new/old boat that's in my garage. It's a 14 foot 1959 jon with a V bow. It was my grandfather's boat and after having sat in his back yard for about 25 years, I asked him if I could have it. It was in horrible shape...painted green which was flaking badly, and the transom was rotting out.

It now has a new transom, new paint job with marine blue paint and I just bought a new 9.9 Johnson 4-stroke. It looks like a brand new boat...even better. Add that to the trolling motor, battery, battery charger, new seats, misc (anchor, rope, net, gas tank w/hook up)...Yes, I have spent some money getting her ready.

She has yet to be out in the water, but come Spring...look out!! I have spent all my life as a "bank" fisherman and the last 7 years wading in the Elkhorn with my fly rod. I'm looking forward to getting on bigger water, being mobile and fishing some cool smaller lakes. I also plan on fishing the Cumberland Tailwater quite a bit this coming year. Can't wait.

I have found as a "new" boat owner that you're going to keep spending money. Just be sure that you get what you want and justify the spending by keeping what you have. Good luck!!!

Post Thanks / Like

About 15 years ago I was stanting around a camp fire with some friends at their camp on a creek near Bagdad KY. One of the guys mentioned that he had just bought 8 14' v-bottom boats with 9 HP Johnsonsform U-Haul and asked if anybody wanted one for $800. I put in my order.

Post Thanks / Like

I built the first boat I ever owned at 13 years of age. I had lots of help, but we built a flat bottom wooden jon boat that I used extensively on a watershed lake near my boyhood home in Alabama. I broke the transom completely out of it when I was 16 showing off for some buddies. Running hard with a 10 HP Evinrude motor, lost control and ran it up on the bank. I laughed along with my buds like it was no big deal, but down deep my feelings were bad hurt about wrecking that ole tub.

Post Thanks / Like

i got my first boat the same day i got my first truck i was 16 it was a 12 jon boat. that work for a few years of pond hoppin then i went to bass pro shops and saw the tracker proteam 175 and fell in love. i had them put a 40 horse four stroke merc. on it and drove it home. if i was you i would buy a used boat first and see witch kind you like befor sinking 10 grand or more into it