Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Customizing a 16ft. Jon Boat?

I've just bought a 1995 16' x 6'2" modified V Mon Ark 1650MV jon boat with a steering console. Here is what I need to know:

-What kind of paint do I need for it (I want to paint the inside and motor and will be using a spray gun.)

-What's the best way to prep the surface w/o sanding off all of the paint, can it just be wetsanded?

-There are some holes in the deck that need to be filled, I have a welder that can weld aluminum, I can weld aluminum pretty good and do body work, but I can't fill in small holes too good so what options do I have?

-I want to extend the small front deck so I'll have enough room to mount a seat comfortably so how can I do this?

-I need to build a floor in it like the new Grizzly jon boats have any ideas and this boat has a small V all the way to the back so the floor would bend downward towards the center?

-I need to come up with a mount to build for a hand controlled trolling motor in the front where the boat V's.

I want to do everything without using any wood at all and do it myself. Any pictures would also help me out. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Customizing a 16ft. Jon Boat?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-05 AT 01:47PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-05 AT 01:47*PM (EST)[/font]

Try this site http://www.myjonboat.com/aboutboat.htm

It might give you a few ideas on what you can do. A friend just "reconditioned" my jon but we didn't do anything fancy to it. Just paint and a new transom. I did buy new swivle seats that clamp on the the bench style seats, bought a new motor for it and some other stuff.

As far as the holes in the hull...I know that they make a puddy like substance that hardens like steel. You mash the two different compounds together and fill the hole, mold it...and it hardens...like steel. I believe though, you'll have to seal it somehow to make it water proof.

I'm just thinking off the top of my head...hope it works out.

ps...be sure to check out the "Converted jon boats" link on the left side of the page. Some great ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

on the bigger holes buy some sheet metal and cover the inside of the hole weld in place then if you are worried about the bottoms appearance fill it in and grind and sand smooth a good marine enamel will work for paint. I do not know how much access you have to cheap metal if there is such a thing now days but it will be hard to stay away from wood completly if there are any lose rivits be sure to spot weld those as well to save time in the future. watch your boat weight as you build a friend of mine built his own dream boat with every thing he thought he wanted only to launch it and it set with just 6 inches above the water line. be sure to leave drainage channels to the plugs it is going to take on water sooner or later so they need to be there. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Since this is a general discussion about how to modify a jonboat I would like to add another question to the topic...I have a 19' Lowe Jonboat (big ol' wide and deep outfit) with a 70 horse Evinrude...anyway, the trailer this boat sits on is homemade and I'm hoping to purchase a new trailer for it this winter. My question(s) are:

a. What is the difference (besides the money) between a good trailer verses not so good of a trailer?

b. The trailer I have now has bunks instead of rollers, do most large jonboat trailers have bunks or rollers?

c. Tandem or single axle? The boat is pretty good size with a 70 horse Evinrude plus the inside of been totally decked out with carpet, rod storage etc...I'm not sure how much it weighs but what kind of trailers do you guys usually see a larger jonboat sitting on, tandem or single axle?

c. Can anyone recommend a dealer to call on? I live in the Louisville area and have checked out some prices from two different dealers nearby (one in Louisville and one in Indiana), it's looking like it's going to cost around 1000.00 to 1100.00 bucks. One of the dealers I talked with I had met when I was at the Jim Strader show last winter so I guess he's reputable...

Anyone help/advice anyone can share would be much appreciated, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw on BASS TECH on saturday morning a couple of weeks ago the complete reconditioning of a jon boat that was sunk. The one thing they did that I really liked was using the rino spray (thats the truck bed liner spray) on the inside to seal all the rivits and small holes.

Just throwing out ideas

Post Thanks / Like

Never thought of the rino spray...that's a good idea. If you can afford it.

Chub, take a look at this website.

http://www.directboats.com/over14.html

It has a 19ft trailor on the bottom left. Don't know if that's in your price range, however when buying on line you don't have to pay sales tax.

My trailor is just a regular old trailer with wood planks that has two long 2x4's that are carpeted right on top. It used to haul jet skis, but it works just right for my jon...course the boat is only 14ft, but it should work okay. It doesn't have a wench so I'll have to pull up the boat by hand...but it's not that heavy and shouldn't be a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

My 14ft Jon boat has a transom mount hand controlled T/M mounted to a piece of aluminum. The fabricated "L" bracket is mounted to the top ridge of the boat which is several inches wide in the front and the transom mount trolling motor is bolted to the upper portion of the "L" bracket. I know it's not the best way but it works well and is very sturdy.

Post Thanks / Like

rhino lining

menards has a rhino lining like stuff in a quart(maybe a gallon) can for around 80 bucks last i saw. sometimes they have a rebate with it. bet it gets cheaper around this time of year. i saw at the indiana state fair last year a 12 foot jon on rhino's display that they did the whole boat inside and out. also if the seams are splitting i dont think lining it would do anything for the seams other than seal them for a while. i put everything on mine until somebody gave me a can of roofing tar. hasn't leaked yet. if it gets too bad i'll take and recycle it and buy another beater.

Post Thanks / Like

check around marinas and lake bait shops for trailers for sale you may run up on a deal I found a single axel trailer at a yard sale and got it for 20 bucks had to do the wiring again it cost about 30 bucks lights and all. Look at the tires of the trailer your buying is the wear the same are the axels straight, if you buy used be carefull

Post Thanks / Like

>I've just bought a 1995 16'
    >x 6'2" modified V Mon
    >Ark 1650MV jon boat with
    >a steering console. Here is
    >what I need to know:
    >
    >
    >-What kind of paint do I
    >need for it (I want
    >to paint the inside and
    >motor and will be using
    >a spray gun.) Can't help with the paint.
    >
    >-What's the best way to prep
    >the surface w/o sanding off
    >all of the paint, can
    >it just be wetsanded?
    >
    >-There are some holes in the
    >deck that need to be
    >filled, I have a welder
    >that can weld aluminum, I
    >can weld aluminum pretty good
    >and do body work, but
    >I can't fill in small
    >holes too good so what
    >options do I have?
    Rhino liner can cover the holes with aluminum tape and then spray. I used this on my custom jon. The rhino liner is the way to go.
    >
    >-I want to extend the small
    >front deck so I'll have
    >enough room to mount a
    >seat comfortably so how can
    >I do this? Aluminum angle and .100" aluminum sheet metal. Any thinner than .1 and it flexes too much. Use the biggest rivets you can get away with and 1/4 20 bolts.
    >
    >-I need to build a floor
    >in it like the new
    >Grizzly jon boats have any
    >ideas and this boat has
    >a small V all the
    >way to the back so
    >the floor would bend downward
    >towards the center? Same as the deck extension. Be sure to use plenty of rivets so the floor does not "pop" when you walk on it. I suggest at least 6 per rib.
    >
    >-I need to come up with
    >a mount to build for
    >a hand controlled trolling motor
    >in the front where the
    >boat V's. I used a large block of aluminum and machined it in the shape of an L. Any machine shop can bend you a 3/8 steel bracket as well.
    >
    >I want to do everything without
    >using any wood at all
    >and do it myself. Any
    >pictures would also help me
    >out. Thanks.

I bought a brand new 2003 Xpress tunnel hull a couple of years ago. I added an all aluminum floor and back deck. The rear deck is built off aluminum angle and sheet metal. Then I had the entire inside rhino lined. Turned out great have been very pleased with it since. It cleans out easy with a pressure washer and requires 0 maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Bluegilln

Did you make that floor on your own? If not, can you tell me who did and how much it cost? Thanks for any info.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Bluegilln

DJD

I did it myself. I got a sheet of aluminum from Evansville Sheetmetal and cut it to fit. Once I had it cut to fit I put the rivets in. The rhino liner dealer here in BG KY taped/caulked it nice, it is seamless. Give me your email and I will send pics. Sorry to take so long getting back, I travel some for work and don't get to check in as much as I would like :).