Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Winterizing your boat???? 1st timer

this is the 1st year I've owned a boat and wanted advise on winterizing...my merc. manual says to let all the water drain but that's it, I do that everytime I leave the lake.
    I'm not done fishing yet but will proably be down about the last of Dec. until March and I want to make sure I don't mess anything up. BTW it's stays in a un attached garage but no doors on the front, so it will be out-of-the-weather.
    Thanks,
    Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Winterizing your boat???? 1st timer

i would fog the cylenders,had a ring break and ruin my powerhead
    after it set for a couple months without running.fog it stabilize the fuel just for good measures 25 bucks may have saved me 3 thousand

Post Thanks / Like

well, if your going to be fishing at the end of December,You'll be fishing Jan/Feb too, ant no colder

Post Thanks / Like

well maybe but will it be ok setting 4-6 weeks at a time without running????

Post Thanks / Like

i guess i fished about ever other weekend last year,may of went 3 weeks not fishing,my boat was fine.now by allmeans do what u think is best. the only thing i did was pulled the gas line and let the gas in carbs burn off, I think this winterizing stuff is for the people in the extream north, where lakes freeze over for mounts at a time (u know ice fishing places),once again,do what u think best, this is only my 2 cent worth winter fishing here i come. Hunter

Post Thanks / Like

weather's been so HOT and HUMID this summer, i'll probably fish mine all year.

however, your manual should outline some 'to-dos' like fog the engine, replace fuel filter, etc. etc.

check your manual for a 'storage' section.

i winterize mine each year. spent maybe 40 bucks on fogging oil, lower unit lube (definitely change that), other little things. had enough left over to use this past year.

check out iboats.com for some advice as well. go to the 'boating forums' and look for mercury faqs.

hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jeremy,

My first bass boat I winterized too, and found that on the warm days in January and February I was wanting to go fishing. I found that I was fishing in Feb. on the better days, and in fact that is when I caught my first fish over 6 pounds.

After that I quit doing the fogging thing. However, I would reccommend you put Stabil gas stabilizer in the fuel, drive around to mix it well, and run the motor with "muffs" on to get the stabilizer run through your motor. I would also change the lower unit oil. I do this yearly to make sure there is no water mixed in, and that there are not a lot of metal shavings.

So that's all I do, stabilize the gas, change the lower unit oil, oh yeah, I store it with out the transom saver, so I can keep my motor stored in the trimmed down position. I have also taken a garbage bag and wrapped my prop to make sure there was no way any water blew in from the wind, plus we have field mice that will nest in the tail pipes of our trucks if we don't run them often enough.

I remember last year, I had not run my pick up for several weeks, and when I started it up, after a few minutes I hear a loud pop. I got out and found where a nest had been blown out of one of my tail pipes just like a cannon shot. LOL

Good luck,

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

fogging question??

I did fog my first boat, but I had a carburated motor. My current motor is an opti, with direct fuel injection, and I was curious, I don't know if these are supposed to be fogged or not, does anyone know? I don't remember my manuel saying anything about it, but it has been nearly four years since I read it.

Thanks for helping with my curiousity.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

If your going to use it in dec. I would not winterize it. Just make sure you keep fuel stabil in it and keep your gas tank full all winter this will prevent any condensation in your fuel tank.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: fogging question??

Danny,
    From what I've read, you do not fog opti's. There is an extensive thread on this issue on BassboatCental.com if you want to know more. I can't recall exactly what you do to the cylinders but I do remember the merc mechanics that chime in on there say not to fog them. I also have an opti but fish all winter so I follow the steps that you take. Bill

Barry Guest

RE: fogging question??

Don't forget your trailer, check the wheel bearings for water.. Also make sure you able to get all the water you can out of the boat hull and livewells.

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel stabilizer is not for northern climes only. Any place that the temperature drops below freezing needs fuel stabilizer. When the temp drops, water in the gas crystalizes and when it goes above freezing, will thaw, float and form droplets, droplets join together and now you have water in your gas.