Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tackle Box Design Project - Input needed

Hello, I would like to introduce myself as an Industrial Design student at Western Michigan University. We have been assigned a project to redesign the tackle box. To do that our design team is looking to get information from the users themselves in various regions of the United States. That being said I would like to know any complaints you might have about current tackle boxes, what is awkward, or just a pain in the butt to use? What might you improve or add to the current tackle box? Would some sort of Lighting System be useful within the tackle box?

Basically what are you dislikes and likes for the products currently on the market and what might you like to see change or be added in the future.

Thanks for your help,

Dustin

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Tackle Box Design Project - Input needed

I would like to know any complaints you might have about current tackle boxes, what is awkward, or just a pain in the butt to use? What might you improve or add to the current tackle box? Would some sort of Lighting System be useful within the tackle box?

This is not a consistent problem, but, make sure the compartments are long enough to hold the long crappie/bluegill bobbers.
    Make some extra wide slots to hold spinner baits.
    Make sure it floats.
    Use LED's for the lighting so that we do not use way too many batteries to power the lighting. Also, too much light can be bad or good depending on what type of fishing you are doing, so maybe make it moveable in some way so you can contain the light within the box if needed.
    Make the top section removable so we do not have to lug the whole box around when going to hard-to-reach spots.

Incorporate into the body a hook sharpener, a tape measure.

Make a waterproof compartment to hold a fishing license or a map and other water hating materials.Also, make waterproof compartments so hooks dont rust.
    A seperate compartment to hold a knife, pliers, matches, sinkers. This could be fixed to the outside so as to not clutter up the bottom of the box.
    When closed, make sure items will not move around when box is flipped upside-down.
    Incorporate an 800 # into the logo/design so if I lose the paperwork, I can easily order more items from you. Maybe include that # into the actual mold so it will be a part of the box and will not peel off with contact with salt or fresh water.
    Make the hinges and any othe metal part corosion resitant (and easily replaceable) for salt water fishermen.
    I do not fly fish, but am sure there are some things they would like included.

Good luck and have fun, sounds like an interesting assignment.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Tackle Box Design Project - Input needed

Thanks for the feedback it has been very helpful in stirring up ideas for the project. At this point in the project we have decided to go with a back pack style design for shore fisherman. Our instructor beleives it is an area with the biggest amount of flexibility and that it will stretch our assumptions about what a tackle box is. We are aware of the other backpack designs on the market and it is our goal to improve such a product in an innovative way.

Thanks again your input has been informative and helpful.

Dustin