Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Sauger at McAlpine?

Fished today just across from the Harrison Ave boat ramp. Also went for a ride up to the Falls by the interprative center. Had a great time and caught a lot of fish, mostly small white bass (?) Biggest fish of the day was a 4 lb striper. My question is where are people fishing for Sauger? and would anyone care to share their techniques for finding and catching these critters?

I'm wondering if they're being caught while drifting in the current, or anchored, what part of the river and in what depth water.

Thanks, Steve

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Sauger at McAlpine?

I haven't fished out there this year but the sauger aren't hard to find when they are running -- and they should have started. Generally they are caught on the edge of currents in 8 - 15' of water. If you are catching numbers of whites and stripers I would say you are fishing in more current than sauger prefer. Further, sauger are pretty light sensitive so on bright days they bite far better early or late. Techniques vary from vertical jigging with jigs / minnows to casting jigs from 1/8 to 3/8 oz heads depending on depth/wind/current. Sauger hang to the bottom so keep your lures down. As far as McAlpine area goes you can catch them from Sand island to the lower gates to the duck pond to the big eddy in front of the interpretive center and many places in between. Move around and find where they are.

kc

Post Thanks / Like

I went today left the Boat at home ,sauger are being caught below the upper spillway ....from the bank ,WHite grubs worked for me I am going tomorrow in the boat will fish the lower ..I will report when I return

Post Thanks / Like

the water temp needs to be around 39 deg and current is needed. At the falls usually the lower pool is best for sauger when it's around 16-17 FT. The water is still to warm to find a consistant sauger bite.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the tips. I guess what I really need is a lesson from somebody. I've got a good feel for the river channel and am comfortable on the water even when the current is moving pretty good. I just don't understand the habits of the fish, and how to relate the different water flows and dam release to the likely holding spots of the fish.

So if anyone has room for a guest fisherman who is ready to learn please let me know!

Steve (birdstrike@hotmail.com)

Post Thanks / Like

Steve,
    This is Capt Chip - my new email is captchip2005@wmconnect.com - cell # 502-724-1241 feel free to call me and I will update you on all your questions - I just set up the new email account tonight for all my friends and accounts so feel free to use either phone or email address