Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Lake/ Lake Barkley Biggest Bass!

Lets get a feel on how big the catchable bass actually grow here on the big lakes. My biggest is a LM just over 5 lbs., caught on a homemade soft plastic in 3 ft of water in the middle of summer. Someone tell me their biggest bass catch of 2005 on these two lakes, I haven't seen one this year over 6lbs.

-----Best Fishing-----

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Kentucky Lake/ Lake Barkley Biggest Bass!

my bigget this yr is 4.8 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had 2 on south barkley in the same weekend the first was on a buzz bait 6lb 8 oz the 2nd was on a rig 7lb 13 oz

I did see a guy last weekend land a crappie the biggest I EVER saw . over 3 lbs
    Rodney
    Tight lines
    NEVER DRIVE FASTER THAN YOUR ANGEL CAN FLY !!!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't had a good big fish year on Barkley in '05. I have caught two over 5 but nothing in the "pig" category. My dad caught a good one in the early spring with a 9 lb pig caught on a jig.

kc

Post Thanks / Like

I know of two fish over 8 lbs caught in tourneys early this spring. These are verified. My buddy got one over 8 two years ago on Barkley as well. Hear of 9-10 lbers occasionally, but have never been able to verify one.

Doc

Post Thanks / Like

Dad's fish wasn't verified but it was a pig. It was over 8.5 on his hand scale and he also took length/girth measurements which "calculated" over 9. He was happy to call it a 9 and it is still swimming in the lake. He measured, photographed, and released it where it was caught.

kc

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-05-05 AT 11:04PM (EST)[/font][p]I've had a couple of 6 lbers and a few 5's in the past, but this year about the biggest was just under 4. But I have fished less this year than any year since I have owned a boat.

Danny

PS, what will be interesting will be to see Dave Stewart's input. Since he is out there the most of any of us, I am sure he would have a feel if this was a down year on Barkley for big fish.

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Here is my observation:

Smallmouth: A very good year for big Smallmouth. We had 3 that went over 7lbs on handscale in the boat this spring and quite a few in the 5lbs plus class. We lost a number more that did not quite make it into the boat. I have seen a number of large Smallies caught this year or talked to folks that caught them. A fellow I know caught a 6lb 8oz one this past week while practicing for a tournament.

Largemouth: We only had 4 in the boat this spring that I know were over 8lbs. But, I really feel that the reason these numbers were low was because I spent most of the fun fishing trips we did targeting the Smallmouth during March and early April which is the time frame that most of the really big Largemouth are caught (8 lbs plus). During late prespawn in late Apriland early May we caught plenty of 4-7lbs fish.

One last observaton: During the last couple of years about 75% of my trips have been directed toward tournament preparation type trips as that is what the majority of my client's booked me for. These type trips do not lend themselves to produce high numbers of BIG fish during the trip although we do occassionally catch some.....we are covering too much water in one day on these trips and it cuts down on the numbers of fish caught..but then again catching a lot of fish is not the focus of the trip. I do get a lot of feedback from my clients that I take out (thanks folks) and from their feedback I would say that it has been a good year here for Largemouth over 5lbs....but the 9lbs plus fish were elusive this year. Again, the reason for this could be that a lot of folks were targeting the big Smallies during that timeframe when most of the monster Largemouth are taken.

Post Thanks / Like

Dave - I believe I saw a post of yours sometimes back about personally catching a 10 on Barkley a few years back. What is your personal best from the big lakes beyond 2005? I have a buddy of mine that claims to have caught (3) 10s in the past 15 years and I do know one is verified. He had it mounted and I have never seen such a fish! Looks like an 11 to me.

kc

Post Thanks / Like

My personal best is a 10lb 6 oz caught a few years back. There have been a number of over 10's caught down here. There was a 12 caught down here on Barkley over by Prizer's Point a few years back that made the local news....I remember a tourney here a few years ago that two over 10 came in that day. There have been a good number of over 10's caught off these lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

In the early 90's I saw the 13+ bass that was caught in Carmack Bay on a Crappie jig, this bass was a few ounces off the lake record. When I saw the fish it was being keep alive at one of the docks.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-05 AT 04:56PM (EST)[/font][p]Well from that I have to ask...does anybody know what the lake records are on Barkely and Kentucky? Does any organization actually keep track of such a thing?

Also, for the official record. That 8+ lber my buddy caught came from an area that Dave showed us the day before...he knows his stuff. If they aren't there one day, its not because they don't live there...they may be there the next day biting like wildfire.

Doc