Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

RE: Sauger are at McAlpine

Birdstrike is tellin the truth ...they are by far my favorite fish to eat .

I have a camp at Nolin Lake we catch walleye from there & I swear to you the sauger fillets are just as tasty as the walleye from Nolin

Post Thanks / Like

I took my son this evening. We had a blast! We caught about 40 fish. Stripers, White Bass, Sauger and even caught some Shad. Two Sauger 20" or better just after sunset. Thanks, Guys

Post Thanks / Like

Sauger are pretty good to eat. Some guys compare them to walleye but I think they have a stronger taste from the Ohio. I have eaten Sauger from KY lake that don't have that strong taste. One positive to keeping sauger is they are a breeze to clean.

One note for all fishing sauger at the falls == like any other sought after species as the pressure picks up the quality falls off. I recommend to all catching and eating those sauger to release the bigger ones. To me the biggest ones have the stronger taste anyway and it's always best to selective harvest leaving the cream of the crop. Plus I release all walleyes I catch below the dam. Their numbers are not great and putting them back can help the numbers build for the future.

Good fishing!!!

kc

Barry Guest

Thanks Everyone...

Me and my son went for a few hours Sunday afternoon. We had a blast. On the way home my son (7) said it was the best day he had ever had... So thanks for everyone's help and a great after noon of 'catching'.

Barry

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Thanks Everyone...

I'm not sure how the license thing on the Ohio works really...this past year my neighbor and I put his boat in on the Indiana side...I don't even know the name of the park/ramp now...but it's right off of I-65...Prior to going he never said anything to me about having to have an Indiana license and I never thought to ask...I live in Kentucky but work in Jeffersonville on Spring Street...JFW, are you sure an Indiana license is not required?

Also, when fishing from the bank, you've mentioned using curly tail grubs...what ounce are you using? re you using a float with it at all or tying stright to the bait?

Barry Guest

Using

1/4 oz jig heads with 3" grubs. Chartuse seemed to be best.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: regs

This should answer any questions about fishing license. This copied from Kentucky Deoartmant of Fish and Wildlife web site: http://fw.ky.gov/Navigation.asp?cid=101

Ohio River Fishing
    (KRS 150.170)
    An angler with a Kentucky fishing license
    may fish the entire main stem of the Ohio
    River from a boat, or a bordering state’s
    bank without buying the other state’s
    license (bordering states include Illinois,
    Indiana, and Ohio).

Here is a link to the walleye and sauger tracking program:
    http://fw.ky.gov/112904b.asp?lid=1043&NavPath=C101

enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like

You can use either state's license (Indiana or KY) when fishing the main body of the river -- even if you are fishing from the other state's bank. Where you get into trouble is the tributaries. If you are fishing up in a creek on the KY side of the river you need a KY license and the same goes for other bordering states.

On the size of jig heads you use -- it is relative to conditions. I always use as light of a jig head as possible keeping it down near the bottom. With the current and depth 1/4 oz would be the norm but you may go heavier or lighter depending on the situation. And you wouldn't use a bobber for sauger. Simply cast the jig out, let it fall down, and "swim" it slowly back along the bottom. The slower the better but this gets back into the weight versus the conditions. Too heavy and you clank bottom constantly or snag or move the jig too fast. Too light and you can't keep it near bottom. I carry 1/16, 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, and 3/8 oz jigs and match to depth, current, and/or wind accordingly.

I will share one last trick on jigs and snags. I make my own jig heads and use standard Eagle claw aberdeen wire hooks size 1 or 2 (mostly). These wire hooks can bend but don't bend easily until being bent the first time. After I tie on a fresh jig head I take my needle nose and grab the hook just behind the barb and bend it partialy straight and then bend it back to form. Using 8# line when I snag the hook (not the head wedged in rocks) many times I can pull and straighten out the hook and save the jig. Just watch your hook point when doing this. It may get messed up where it needs to be resharped or you may not be able to re-use. Finally, remember when pre-bending hooks if you get a large fish on you can't put too much pressure on him or it will straighten the hook. Sauger don't pose much of a problem with that thought but there is no telling what you may stick with a jig fishing in the river.

It's a shame all of this rain has come in. It looks like I may not make it out there this season after all. That's the curse of fall river fishing -- high water (and no time to get away).

Good luck to all,

kc

Post Thanks / Like

as long as you fish the MAIN stem of the river you can use Ky or In license
    If you fish the Colgate creek or fish any creek that feeds into the river on the Indiana side ,you would need a Indiana License

Post Thanks / Like

Now the river is 19ft

Well the sauger fishing will change ,the lower at McAlpine is 19 ft and rising ;
    NOw if you go try the big rocks down from the interperative ctr ,you will see a back eddie ,they will be in the back eddie