Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Break-in of Mercury

I just bought a new 2005 Mercury 60HP 2-stroke. How should I go about breaking it in? I have had people tell me to hold it wide open to keeping it under 4000 RPMs.

Another question. It stopped letting out a "pee" from the water pump yesterdy. I took it back to the dealer, and he took an air hose and blew out some debre. The hole is very small and obviously easy to create blockages. Have any of you had this problem? The dealer showed me the water coming out of the exhaust is what keeps the motor cool. I like the "pee" since it shows me the water pump is working properly!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Break-in of Mercury

Man, you are asking the wrong people. You should be asking the dealer these questions and listen to him --not jackleg mechanics. If something goes wrong because you didn't follow the manufacturer's instructions, you could void your warrenty.

Post Thanks / Like

PK: It`s all in the owners manual. If your dealer didn`t give you one, make sure he does. Good luck, Tom.

Post Thanks / Like

it should be in you manual but the guys a Stokleys told me to NOT LET IN IDLE for a long period of time and to keep the RMP's moving, thus change speeds when running but I thought like you that I didn;t need to open it up but they told me that was fine, and that idling was harder on them that anything, it causes the motor to load-up. He also mentioned something about adding an extra quart of oil to the 1st (break-in) tank, it helps the rings seal.
    Hope this is alittle help...

Post Thanks / Like

Mercury has a very specific break-in procedure. I know on my new Opti, the on board computer keeps track of the amount of time the engine was running in each RPM range. I am not sure if it is in 500 rpm increments or 1000 rpm increments. It even tells how much time is left to complete the break-in. The dealer told me that failure to follow the breaking will void the warranty.

Wiz