Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BPS reels

Post Thanks / Like

BPS reels

just wondering if anyone has ever used or has an opinion on bass pro reels.i just bought a johnny morris signature spinning reel and havent got to use it yet but id like to know you guys experience with these.how about the extreme rods?quality or over rated?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: BPS reels

Been using a couple of JM spinning reels for a few years now. The handle has a tendency to catch against the bail, but other than that, they're nice reels. Don't use the BPS extreme rods, but I have a couple of BPS Bionic Blades. The blades are priced well, very durable, and I have nothing bad to say about them.

Post Thanks / Like

I got a Rick Clunn reel and like it alot, I first bought a Bassmaster and it was kinda junky so I took it back and got the RC. I have 2 of the extreme rods and several crankin' stick and they all do great!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I heard from my reel tech (sounds official don't it) That BPS Reels use a lot as in way too many plastic parts, And is often asked to fix them and he does with the warning that it won't fix for long. Just my .2¢ It's not worth the few bucks you'll save.

Post Thanks / Like

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-05 AT 10:04PM (EST)[/font][p]thx for every ones imput,i cant wait till this weather stabilizes a bit and i can try em out.the description says the johnny morris signature reel is like a fine swiss watch,i hope so.also this was the first 7 foot rod i have bought,i wonder if ill tell a big diffrence from the 6'6?ill mainly use it for soft plastics and occasionly a crank bait.i think my next combo will be the quatum energy reel and one of the lesser price st croix.

Post Thanks / Like

those reels are awesome out of the box, the best for the money. The only downside is, if you fish a lot they are not designed to last. I have tried all the higher end quantums, BPS, and most of the shimanos and for the $ you flat out CAN NOT BEAT the $119.00 curado. Period

Post Thanks / Like

you get what you pay for. when you get away from the g-loomis and the curado you,re leaving the boat and going back to the bank. just my 2 cents worth.

Post Thanks / Like

You can't wrong with the bps reels,i've been using the xps 1000 series baitcasters for years and i've abused the heck out of them and never had any trouble.As far as someone's 2 cents worth goes,ignore it,i've taken plenty of money from guys using their overpriced keep-up-with-the-jones' loomis equipment,while using my inferior bps reels.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a couple of the RC reels back in 2002 and they are starting to wear out now. The guy that fixes my reels told me that the BPS reels are made cheaper than the reels they copy and BPS has a contract with the manufacturer for exclusive rights to the parts. I have no idea how much truth there is to it, but I don't think I'll buy another BPS reel. As far as I'm concerned, the Curado is about the best value in the nicer reels.

Post Thanks / Like

>I bought a couple of the
    >RC reels back in 2002
    >and they are starting to
    >wear out now. The guy
    >that fixes my reels told
    >me that the BPS reels
    >are made cheaper than the
    >reels they copy and BPS
    >has a contract with the
    >manufacturer for exclusive rights to
    >the parts. I have no
    >idea how much truth there
    >is to it, but I
    >don't think I'll buy another
    >BPS reel. As far as
    >I'm concerned, the Curado is
    >about the best value in
    >the nicer reels.

Exactly what I was told, Cheap parts and darn near impossible to get replacement parts, Mine only lasted 2 years.

Post Thanks / Like

from what i read about this reel[which im just sure is salesman talk]is that its supposed to be over built w/the best parts.i hope so,this is my first nice or should i say expensive reel ive ever bought,i got alot of walmart and meier quantums combos,you know the 40 dollar combos and they last me 5 or 6 years easy and i fish alot.i was hoping i stepped up big time with this reel purchase but maybe not,now im debating just taking it back and getting that quantum energy pti spinning reel for 30 bucks more.i wanted a real nice reel for once and i hope that i didnt just get fooled by the desciption of it.

Post Thanks / Like

If you return the spinning reel you bought and spend more for another, consider a Shimano Stradic. I get tired of everyone crowing about how great Shimano reels are, but there's a reason they do. They're a darned good value.

After tiring of folks touting Shimano and not wanting to support the Japanese economy, I bought 2 Johnny Morris spinning reels to replace a couple of Stradics that had been stolen from me. One of the Stradics I'd had for many years, and it still fished like new. The other was a newer model I traded a guy a Lews baitcaster for. It was a funky white color but fished sweet.

The JM reels are well balanced and smooth as silk, but they're just plain out not built as well as the Stradic. That's firsthand experience not hearsay. Never had a Quantum pti, so I have no opinion.