Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking to buy Billy Westmorelands book...

It was suggested to me to ask the question here on this board, so here goes...

If any one has Billy Westmorelands book titled: "Them Ol Brownfish" and would like to sell it, please shoot me an email instructing how to contact you...me email address is: tcaudill@insightbb.com

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Looking to buy Billy Westmorelands book...

I've been looking for one forever, Ebay has had a few on there but there few and far between. You just have to keep your eyes out for one.

Post Thanks / Like

If you just want to read the book go to your local library. My library did not have a copy but they have got some kind of network where they can get on the net and locate one. They had a library from another county to send them a copy so I could read it and then when I took it back they sent it back to where it came from and there was no fee for having the libary to send it back and forth.

The book has some age on it I "think" it was early 80's and was very interesting to read about the early history of Dale Hollow and how Billy fished for Them OL Brown Fish

R19

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get me wrong here..I loved Billy and he was a good friend but, he wasn't much of a writer for books. He was a better at actually telling the stories. I've read it a few times and is a good read but, not very informative if that's what your looking for.
    Not to burst your bubble neither but, a lot of those patterns he uses form years back don't work as good as they once used to. The lake has been void of cover for about the last twenty years and patterns have DEFINITELY changed.
    Fish ar deeper than ever except in the spring but, they're bigger than ever too:)

Post Thanks / Like

I have bought and gave away a couple. type in "them ol brown fish" on e-bay they go for $20-$25 bucks . I have two now, one signed with dust jacket (mint) and one I read from time to time.
    I frequent HorseCreek Marina on Dale Hollow and Billy lived right above the Marina. He was and still is thought of with much fondness. Wished I could have met him.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to agree that Billy wasn't a great writer. He was, however, a GREAT fisherman. When you read the book, you can very much hear his distinctive voice. It reads just like he spoke. His editor didn't change anything. But, that also adds to the book's uniqueness. I really regret not asking Billy to sign a copy of it while he was alive. As far as fishing information goes though, this pretty much sums up the book. "Use light line, small lures, and fish deep". Billy was very much a very nice guy, and always took the time to talk to me when I saw him. Rest in peace.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree....I think the man was so unique that his desire was felt by anyone who knew him:)

Post Thanks / Like

"Light lines, small lures, fish deep"...that's some helpful information, thanks! I'd probably still like to buy the book though. And I agree, the book was wrote quite a few years ago and the techniques discussed are most likely old, in fact some of which may no longer work since the contour of the lake bottom has changed since then, but still...I feel sure I would gain some useful information from reading the book...Someone sent me an email on with a link to a place to purchase the book...the sale prices are (gasp!) 45.00 and 50.00 dollars...Oh well...might have to wait till after Christmas sometime....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Looking to buy Billy Westmorelands book...

Well I don't have Billy's book, but I do however have a BPS Billy Westmoreland series spinning rod.

One of the finest spinning rods I have ever owned. It was the only one in a series of B. Westmoreland rods that BPS produced. I would love to find more of them.

Post Thanks / Like

I have WESTMORELANDS book titled "Them Ole Brown Fish" and it doesnt read like you would expect a world class fishing publication to read. Best way i can describe reading it is like sitting on the front porch and drinking coffee with Billy Westmoreland who happens to be your next door neighbor as he explains the ins and outs of smallmouth behavior fishing techniques.
    It might be a older book and have a lot of info pertaining to smallmouth fishing on Dale Hollow but the book also gives a in depth look at the smallmouth behavior from a genetic and behavioral perspective. Yes Dale Hollow lake environment has most certainly changed since its impounment (late 1940's?) but the genetics of the fish havent changed. Reading the book has helped me increase the number of smallmouth ive caught on Kentucky & Barkley Lakes.

Post Thanks / Like

Pastor Bass is selling one on the Community Tackle box on this site.

Post Thanks / Like

book is gone... I saw one on ebay not too long ago though from a guy in nancy Ky. They are hit or miss on ebay. I have seen them go as cheap as 25 up to over 100. A lady from Texas had a signed one I kept trying to buy from her, but she would not budge from $300.

Amazon probably had the biggest listing of them.

I agree with what the others have said. It's not the greatest read. I sold one and kept one, not so much for the info in the pages, but for the nostalgia of one of my favorite fisheries.