Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Dale Hollow Report

Just got back from 4 days at Dale.

Thursday Overcast, No sun all day, spitting rain started around Noon, full downpour from 1pm to dark(miserable fishing after 1, no bites, pouring rain, windy, cold but I did not give up). Fished FNF the majority of the day hitting main lake bluffs to start but water clarity was not good enough so went to bluffs just into the creeks with great success. Caught 17 fish total, the majority of them around 1-2 pounds each but did have 2 just over 3. Most came off the bluffs in the creek. All came before 1pm when the COLD front started coming thru. Saw 2 other boats all day and one of them put in at Holly Creek the same time I did. Same boat took out at dark as did I and the 2 of them said they boated 23 for the day. All of my fish came on FNF, 10 feet deep right up against bluffs some on craft hair jigs but most on Duck hair jigs, except for 3 smaller fish that was caught on ovacado/tennessee orange hair jig on a secondary rocky point in 20 feet of water.

Friday, COLD, launched with air temp at 14 degrees wind blowing and TV said with wind felt like 2 degrees. Major cold front coming thru, high skies, slight wind, tough conditions. FNF all day in creeks on bluff walls. Was fishing a bluff in creek around 8am and came upon a small pocket with about 45 degree bank with no cover or anything holding the fish but I graphed a BUNCH of baitfish for whatever reason. I would not have fished this pocket if you guaranteed me a fish would be caught. Nothing told me it would hold fish. No bluff, no cover, no rocks, nothing that I have ever learned would hold a fish. If I had not looked down at my graph to see the bait as I was trolling past it I never would have fished it. GLAD I DID. Boated 3 just over 2, a 3-11, a 4-8 and my biggest of my life 6-4 plus broke off 2 times on fish I never saw and broke off on about a 4 pounder that went completely under the boat and jumped up behind me and cut the line on the bottom of my boat. All of this happened between 8am and 11am. Put 6-4 in my livewell to mount but the the old CONSCIOUS(Spelling) started playing on me that I have never kept a Smallie in my life. I ended up taking 12 pictures of the fish, giving her a big kiss and letting her go after 45 minutes in my livewell. Caught a few more small fish on the creek bluffs but only fished until 2pm for I had to find a place to 1 hour develop the pictures. Again all fish came about 10 feet deep, Duck jig with a little Chartruse hair with Garlic Fish Dope on jig hairs to streamline them to look like a threadfin shad. Drove to Celina TN to get the pictures developed, came out great. I only wish somebody was with me to get me in the photo. Nobody stupid enough to launch when it was that cold. I took several pictures with the big girl laying on my deck at all angles and another holding the fish out in front of me. They turned out great and there will be a replica made of her (Anybody reading this that can offer a suggestion for someone to make a replica from pictures please respond). Saw very few boats all day very cold.

Saturday Started the first hour and a half by myself, boated 2 3 1/2 pounders and broke off twice at the same honey hole as the day before in between sunup and 7:20am. Met my brother in law and a buddy of his back at Holly Creek at 7:30. Had them hurry up to get in the boat so we could get back to the honey hole for the bite went away the day before just as the sun came over the trees, about 10am. We hurried back for NOTHING, not a bite for over an hour with 3 rods in the water. I am totally stumped. I was fighing the 2nd of the 3 1/2 pounders as my "alarm" was going off in my pocket telling me to go pick up the fellas. I got her in the boat and put her in the livewell with the other and took off. I believe I made the mistake of firing up the big motor right in the small cove instead of trolling out to the main lake. Yes both of these were slot fish and I know I was temporary illegal but I wanted to show the fellas what we were after. I did release them after showing them to the fellas. We fished other places that looked just like this one with no luck. Fished creek bluffs in several creeks with each of them landing a smallie about 2 pounds each. It was one guys first and the others 2nd smallie on the fly. Boats everywhere on the water. Many many times I went to bluffs or places and there were boats already fishing. We fished from daylight to dark and boated the 4 total.

Sunday in at daylight, CLOUDY and we are loving it. I am sure that it is going to be a good day. Went to the honey hole first, NOTHING. Went to another bluff that a couple were caught on Thursday and I boated a massive 10 inch Spot. Wind was swirling but NO SUN at all. Very few boats on the water. We ran all over the lake. I filled up Saturday night and then put in 13 more gallons tonight before putting the boat in the garage. At 3 mile to the gallon = 39 miles of running and gunning on Sunday. Main lake bluffs, sencondary bluffs, creek bluffs, you name it we fished it from Holly Creek to Trooper Island. I boated a 2 pound Smallie around Noon and had about a 3 pounder break me off during the fight by running under my boat again. The other 2 fellas had nothing. One of them fished a jig and silver buddy in between the fly with no bites at all. I will never understand today, NO Sun extremely overcast, it was very windy but still thought we would catch some fish with these conditions.

In general, the majority of the fish were caught in the creeks on bluff walls. FNF, Duck Hair jig with Chartruese added, 10-11 feet deep, Garlic Fish Dope on jig matting down to resemble a threadfin shad. Water temp was around 50 on Thursday but was down to 48-49 this morning. Water clarity would allow you to still see the jig 6-8 feet deep in the creeks. I fished as deep as 14 feet deep and tried other colors plus no fish dope but Duck Chartruese with Dope was best producer. Only my second winter FNF at Dale and lake is extremely low. Watch the water level when navigating lake. Corp has put out some new markers for shallow water but even then you will find yourself in water less than 10 feet just next to 50 feet deep. Hope this helps some for the next couple of weeks the bite should only get better until the temp hits 43 or so. Side note: I caught way more quality fish this trip than any of the 30 or so days I FNF Dale last winter. The slot has defineately helped the quality of fish at Dale. I talked in depth with one of the better guides Friday night and he says that he has it on good authority there is a 12 pounder swimming in Dale. Evidently a couple of scuba divers saw the fish this summer and it looked like a 2x12 to them. Says it is definelately the new world record. Go get him boys. I believe the 1955 record smallie was caught by a guy trolling for Muskie behind his pontoon boat. It would be nice for a Smallie fisherman have that record, not some guy that lucked into the record.

Hope this helps some, for me last trip until January for too much going on the next couple of weekends.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Dale Hollow Report

Fantastic detailed report Elnut!! It's reports like these that keeps me coming back to this website time after time...I still have your number and email and may very well give you a call sometime...

My neighbor down the street and I last night were discussing the possibility of going fishing on the day after Christmas since he and I are both off work for a few days that week...

Two weeks ago we fished the Cumberland River up stream from Burkesville a little ways, thinking of going there again the day after Christmas. But I told my neighbor that maybe what we ought to do is pull his boat and turn right at Burkesville and head over to Dale instead of wading the Cumberland. I told him we might not catch fish but we'd definitely learn something since neither one of us has been on Dale before...we'll see.

Once a

Post Thanks / Like

Replica Mount

Great report! Nice fish too! I can make you a replica. I charge $10 an inch plus the driftwood costs. Email me with dimensions if you are interested. I live in Alexandria, just south of Cincinnati.
    dervin@eesus.jnj.com.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

Dale Hollow Lodging

Wanted to point out that I stayed in the absolute best cabin money can buy. I have stayed in cabins, motels and shacks all over Dale, Cumberland and Ky Lake over the past 2 years. John Davis of SmallmouthSpecialty.com has built a 2 BR fully stocked cabin on his property just off Holly Creek that is incredible. 2BR, Full Bath, Stove, Fridg, Micro, Kitchen Table 4 chairs, Couch, Recliner, Oak Hardwood Floors, Cherry Board Walls, Pine Siding, Metal Roof, Side Deck, Front Porch, 4 Ceiling Fans, Deer mount on one wall, Smallmouth mount on another, pictures of himself as a small child holding a fish, picture of his 6 year old daughter holding a big smallie, Brand New felt like I was staying at a friends cabin, very nice. It is not 100% fully complete but will be soon. He plans on adding a covered roof to the Side Deck and add a shelter for boat storage with electricity. It is right next door to his cabin that he stays in at the lake when he is guiding. John has guided on Dale for over 10 years and took me out last winter to teach me the FNF and Silver Buddy. He did an excellent job. He still tells me what the fish are doing when I call to this day. He gave me an excellent rate on this cabin for I had taken a guide trip with him i the past. His deal is that if you rent the cabin he will tell you what the fish are doing. If you take a guide trip he will give you a discounted rate on the cabin for life. His property is right in between 2 of the BIGGER named guides on the lake. Both of the Bigger named guides only FNF all winter but John will do whatever it takes to catch fish and will teach all on is trips. I assure you John is the most honest guide of the 3 and I know this for a fact for the other 2 sat seperately in the cabin and talked fishing with me this past trip within 24 hours of each other and EACH took full credit for inventing a very important part of the FNF. One of them is not telling the truth, I don't know which one but do know that John put me on fish and has always been totally honest with me from the first time I met him on Dec 6 2004. If you are looking for an excellent guide trip, which I highly reccommend on Dale, or an excellent place to stay check out Smallmouthspecialty.com I have stayed at Hendricks Creek, Wisdon Dock, Holly Creek, Sulphur Creek and all of them are priced way too high for what a fisherman needs to get by for a few days. John's place is about 3 miles from Holly Creek Marina right off the road leading to Holly Creek. I left boat in a slip at Holly this trip at $12 per night but with a Deep V and as low as the water is I thought it was the right thing to do plus the hassle of loading, unloading and pulling those hills back and forth each day. Hope this helps you find some excellent lodging. Tell John that Elwood sent you.

Tight Lines

Post Thanks / Like

Good report. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Good report Ellnut.,...

Billy

Redneckshadrap
    www.thecreekbank.com
    KyStreamMan@aol.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thats it...I am "De-winterizing" my boat...I gotta get in some of this FnF smallie fishing....I will never make it till feb and not fish....I have to keep my boat outside, I guess as long as I keep batteries charged good, stabil in a full tank, and try to keep it covered it should be ok....And I keep the motor trimmed down to keep water out. I hang off the side off a tree allday long during deer season in 20 degree temps surely I can fish when its 35 and 40.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent report! That 6-4 could've been mine if my priorities were straight. You showed some exceptional fortitude turning that one loose. Nice job.

Post Thanks / Like

check out lake fork taxidermy - yes, they are in TX but the work of theirs i have seen is second to none.
    they did dean rojas record setting weight from lake toho some years back and it was awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

Super report! I was down there sunday and monday and had a great time (see recent post). Sorry but I messed up your name (elnutsmallmouth instead of 'jaws' on that post.

Best of luck to you!

Post Thanks / Like

Can we see the pics?

Looking forward to seeing a 6lber.....ROPES

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about everyone else but I am having a problem initiating a new post on the site. Anyway, if you are having this problem just letting you know that I have sent notification to Peter and JimD about the problem. I am sure one of them will look into it.