Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barkley of Kentucky

If you were going to either of these two lakes, when would be your ideal time of year to go? What month would you choose. I am from central kentucky, and I have never been to either one of the two, was wanting to plan a Bass Fishing trip, and was wondering when would be the best time to go. Thanks in advance.

Taylor

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Barkley of Kentucky

WELL TAYLOR....THIER BOTH GOOD FROM MID SEPTEMBER TO MID OCTOBER, THE BASS ARE ON DROPS AND SHALLOW FLATS. THIER CHASING SHAD, SO IT SHOULD BE AN EXELLENT TIME TO FISH. THEN FROM MID MAY TO THE END OF JUNE IS ANOTHER TIME WHEN BOTH LAKES ARE AT THIER BEST. BUT IF YOU LIKE FISHING IN THE WINTER AS I DO, THEN TRY BOTH LAKES FROM MID NOVEMBER TO THE END OF DECEMBER. I'LL LEAVE THE CHOICE OF LURES UP TO YOU. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD FISHING. ALSO TAYLOR IF YOUR NOT THAT FAMILIAR WITH THESE LAKES, ON HOW TO RUN YOUR BOAT SAFELY, MIGHT I SUGGEST YOU GET WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN SHOW YOU AROUND SOME.......SNIPER GONE

Post Thanks / Like

In the spring I like Barkley (March is favorite). In the summer I like Kentucky. In the fall either lake will work. In the winter I go to Dale Hollow and chase brown fish. As far as lures go for each season I read Dave Stewart's report and it eliminates alot of guesswork. No matter which lake or what season either lake is one of the best in country in my opinion. Good luck.

Buck

Post Thanks / Like

I like June, for consistant fishing. Fish are off the beds. Fish can school up, and if you can locate them you can load the boat. I'll fish topwater early, then the drops.

I've found Sept, Oct can be tough at times, and not as consistant. And the lake is at drawdown, and more difficult to naviage.

If you like shallow fishing flipping, pitching spinnerbaiting, March, and April, and early May is good.

Post Thanks / Like

There are a lot of choices for "best times" depending on your preferences and favorite style of fishing. If you call me between 6:00 and 8:00 p.m. central time I would have no problem with giving you my thoughts about when you might want to come down here after talking to you to get a feel for what might be best for you. 270-354-5039
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like

It's really a toss up on which lake to choose!

The absolute best time I have on Ky and Barkley are the last 2 - 3 weeks in April when the bass are in the yellow flowers! It makes for some real fun rolling a spinnerbait through them or working a Flappin' Shad or a Ribbit over the top of the flowers. A limit is an easy thing to get when you catch it at the right time!

I took my mom and sister out on Easter Sunday bass fishing for two or three hours. Neither one knows much about soft plastics for bass fishing! They are the cricket only type of fishing gals. Each ended up landing two keepers apiece using a 4" worm in the yellow flowers. It was a blast because they gave their Zebco 33s a real workout !!!

Then, we did the same thing for Mother's Day, only we went out with minnows for catfish. The channel cat spawn was just right and we had a boat load in about two hours off of a gravel bar that came up from 20' to about 4'. The average size was about three pounds, which ended up filling the freezer!

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Scott Brown - President
    The L-Raisin' Anglers
    University of Louisville