Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

What type of line

What type of line is the best for c-rigging? I've always just used mono but would try something else if better.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: What type of line

I prefer 30lb Spiderwire Stealth Braid with a 12lb Fluorcarbon leader between 18-36 inches long. I am not the biggest carolina rigging person. If the water is 20ft or less I prefer draggin a heavy jig or deep crankin.

Post Thanks / Like

Ditto, braid with fluorocarbon leader 12-14lb. I use power pro braid but i believe any braid will do.

Post Thanks / Like

I tried 30 lb. Fireline with 12 lb. Trilene mono for the leader a while back, and it was a nightmare. I did get the desired added sensitivity, but that was heavily outweighed by the drawbacks:
    1. When my egg sinker got hung in rocks and/or brush, the Fireline was too strong to break. It was either let the line cut my fingers off trying to break the line or troll all the way back to where the line was hung. Still couldn't get it loose half the time and had to cut the line.
    2. Every hook set, the mono broke at the hook. At first, I thought it was because I was setting the hook too hard. The last few times, I barely put applied any pressure at all. I emailed Pure Fishing, who makes both lines, and they didn't know what the problem could be. They finally said it could be a bad batch of Trilene.

After that trip, I went back to using 20 lb. Excel for the main line and 12-14 pound Excel for the leader. Not as sensitive, but at least I could hook and land a fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies!
    Does anyone use straight flurocarbon? I've heard that it will increase your feel of whats going on.

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt the Fluoro will be more sensitive. I have used the BPS #14 Fluoro but it was more prone to backlashes for me, it's a hard line. I would think that a #17 or #20 Fluoro would be really tough to throw but i never tried it. I always used excel and still do at times (best mono on the market IMO) but the braid gives me so much more feel but you have to be careful and not set the hook hard. I believe Dave Stewart mentioned he liked Copolymer for rigging especially around rocks. I will try that myself since he has found it works for him.

Post Thanks / Like

CRing is my favorite tactic.....

I use spiderwire. I use about 40 to 60 lb spiderwire, and I use 17 lb. mono for my leader. With leader ranging from 2-6 feet, I get plenty of stretch on my hook set.

I tried fieline, and did not like it all.

I have tried mono and mono, but never flourocarbon.

The spiderwire gives me the absolutely best feel of the bottom. If I get hung, don't ever wrap the line around your hand, you will cut it off!!! Just kidding... you'll quit pulling before it gets that bad.

I carry a piece of 2X4 to use, or most often I just wrap the line around a clete and use my TM to break the line.

Good luck on whatever you decide, and let us know what you decide and how your results are.

Tight lines and God Bless

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

RE: CRing is my favorite tactic.....

>I carry a piece of 2X4 to use, or most often I just wrap the
    >line around a clete and use my TM to break the line.

Good idea. I'll have to try that.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: CRing is my favorite tactic.....

12lb sea gar f.carbon line for everything