Search Fishin.com

Thread: Reel Problems

Post Thanks / Like

Reel Problems

I've been fishing with baitcasters off and on for over 20 years, never any trouble, and now I'm having problems. I bought 2 used 201 curados,put fluro on one and went to the lake and had backlash problems. I thought since that was the first time I had used fluro, that was what was wrong. When I got home I tried mono on the other one same problem. I've adjusted the mechincal brake(little knob on the side where handle is?)and I've tried the brake deal on the other side(don't know for sure about it). Still not much better.What am I doing wrong?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Reel Problems

Not familiar with Curados, but I had a similar problem with a different brand and had to send it back to the manufacturer. Had it looked at and worked on by 2 different reel guys to no avail, so I sent it back to the manufacturer. In that case it had to do with the centrifugal braking system, but I'm not sure if the Curados have that type of braking system or not.

Do the Curados have a magnetic brake that adjusts from the outside or do you have to adjust from the inside? Also, when you adjust the tension knob does it increase the drag and slow the spool down? If not then it could be the tension knob is not putting pressure/drag on the spool.

Post Thanks / Like

All the other baitcasters I've had the magnetic deal on the outside. The curados I'm not sure about. It says varible brake ststem on the outside,but I'm not sure how to adjust the brake. Can anyone tell how and if you can adjust the brakes? I took the cover off but don't see how to adjust them.Do you just tighten the side cover up?

Post Thanks / Like

There are 6 Brakes you push them out until you here a click. It is best to start with 2 opposite each other.

Get the NET!

Jerry Cole

Post Thanks / Like

When I first started using Curados, I had never used that type braking/control before. I had to push all six brakes all the way out to keep from getting backlashes.

When you take the cover off, you will see six pins with a little pink plastice "top hat" on each pin. The farther out those pins are the more the brakes are ON. Try moving all of the "top hats" all vc the way out. You won't get as much distance but you will cut down on the backlashes until you get used to it. After you get used to it, as jerry said, try moving a couple of opposing hats in a notch. Always move them in or out in pairs--opposite each other. When all the pins are moved all the way in to the center--the brakes are all OFF and you stand the best chance of backlashing.

Keep practicing and moving the top hats on the pins until you find what is right for you under various conditions--i.e., windy, calm, long cast, short cast, into the wind, with the wind, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grumpy

Post Thanks / Like

Thank ya'll for the answers! The problem is solved. Now if I can just figure out how to get some fish to bite I'll have it made.Thanks again!!

Post Thanks / Like

There are 6 Brakes you push them out until you here a click. It is best to start with 2 opposite each other...

I own 4 of the older Curados and love them. I've had good success with every other pin pulled out. That would be 3 pulled out and 3 pushed in. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Just a reminder. No one mentioned this but you will get more backlashes with flouacarbon line because it has no memory, like mono so it goes thru the guides easier. It's also invisible under water. It has it's good traits and drawbacks.......