Search Fishin.com

Thread: Fishing Trip

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Trip

I have a chance to pick where we are goingto go for a fishing trip any sugestions?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Fishing Trip

Redfish and speckled trout in Louisiana! October is usually a good month for it! Otherwise, I'd go to Islamorada, FL. Islamorada is THE sport fishing capital of the world! There's always something awesome to catch there! I spent Christmas there last year and it's a trip I will never forget! Those sailfish are beautiful, the mahi mahi are tough fighters, and the grouper and tuna was very good to eat! It's a trip I won't soon forget! Best of luck in whatever you decide!

Post Thanks / Like

It has to be in Kentucky though!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Time of year and what are you fishing for, here is my list

January - FNF at Dale Hollow for Smallies
    Feb - FNF at Dale Hollow for Smallies
    Mar - Early spring bite at Dale and Ky Lake Brown and Green Fish
    April - Ky Lake for Green Fish
    May - Ky Lake for Green Fish, Cumberland night time Stripers
    June - Night fishing at Ky or Dale for Smallies
    July - See June
    August - See June
    September - Relax, take a break see the wife and kids
    October - Stripers on top water at Cumberland, Greens at Ky
    November - Early Greens in Ky, Late FNF at Dale for Smallies
    December - FNF at Dale for Smallies

This is just my list. Ready for the Stripers at Cumberland in about a month on topwater. I don't think there is a more heart pounding fishing adventure than to see a school of shad the size of your back yard being busted by 20lb stripers.

Post Thanks / Like

elnutsmalljaws

Your spending way to much time with the wife and kids I mean the whole month of Sept. Just kidding, good list I would love to see 20 lbs Stripes busting shad on top. Oh the backlashes that can cause.

Post Thanks / Like

Toadrunner - Not the whole month of September mind you, I did spend 3 days last weekend at KY Lake night fishing and will be going back this weekend for 2 more. Just the largest part of September with the wife and kids. Kids - 17 year old daughter doesn't want to go fishing but already started training the 2 year old boy to cast and set the hook. Soon it will be daughter moved out into her own life, boy with me fishing and momma at home enjoying the peace and quiet. Now bring on the Alberta Clippers to get the water temp down to 65 for the topwater Stripers at Cumberland and then to 50 for FNF season at Dale Hollow, BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR it's **** cold but the fishing is GOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to be ignorant, but what is FNF????

Post Thanks / Like

Float N Fly - Personal Opionion - Best technique to catch BIG Smallies in the winter, especially clear water lakes like Dale and Cumberland. Use an existing spinning reel, buy a rod for $50, another $20 gets you the jigs, bobbers and some fish dope and you are set. I think it is floatandfly.com or maybe floatnfly.com that Jim Dickens set up last year will give you some more info plus other articles on this sight. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for clearing that up for me, I kept seeing it and had no idea what it meant.

Thanks again,

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Elwood,
    I have a friend coming in for about a week in October , we are planning to fish Cumberland for brown fish but would like to get some stripes if they are on. Usually fish in the fuabush area out of conley bottoms. What can I look for and are they pushed back into the creeks or still out in the main lake.

Post Thanks / Like

Main lake and just up in the creeks. I fish from Harmon and Difficulty to the Dam. Best luck in order is Indian Creek, Beaver and Otter, Lilly then Caney. Mouth of the creeks or no more than a couple hundred yards up into any of them that time of year. Knucklehead Sr., Super Zara Spook or any big topwater bait with really strong hooks will work. Keep the 3/4" Rattle trap or Big Silver Buddy handy to fan cast when the school goes down to catch a few more. They say when the school is feeding on top that the really trophies are swimming underneath collecting all the shad that are busted but not eaten and as they fall dis-oriented thru the school the big ones pick them off for an easy meal. Big Red Fins or Big Cranks swam thru the shool while they are busting is supposed to produce some big ones. I just can't get past the topwater bite to try it. Maybe I have learned a little more self discipline this year and will try it...........................NOT.