Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Trout for bait????

I am going to spend a week chasing Stripers next month at Cumberland both on the lake and in the river. I was wondering if I caught Rainbow Trout below the dam can these be used as bait? I believe I heard or read somewhere this was illegal but was just checking. Can anyone tell me of a place that sells Shad not shiners but Shad? Looking for the biggest Shad around to use as bait. I have never caught my own skipjack and will read up on how to do this just in case but most likely I will buy my bait. Any help is most appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Trout for bait????

Never mind on this question. I talked to Fred McClintock just a few minutes ago and he said the section from the dam to Burkesville is as dangerous as it gets, especially in the fall with no water. No way I am going to chance it and besides the fish he is catching is currently all around Old hickory and he will not be fishing above Burkesville any more this year. The man has EVERY date booked for the rest of this year and is booked all of next spring and early summer. I knew he was the man when it came to river striper fishing and this validates that. I will stick to the lake for topwater bite and pulling shiners to cathc mine this year. Thanks anyway

Post Thanks / Like

im not sure on the trout thing...ive wondered that myself, just never checked on it. it would also be a good way to target big largemouths.
    i would think that if you have a stamp, catch em legal and dont exceed the limit, they should be yours to do with as you please. by purchasing a stamp and catching by legal means, they become your "personal property". its not illegal to use them for fertilizer
    or sacrifice them to your infernal gods if you choose, so why not use them for bait? not the law, just my oppinion as i see it...i'd check into it first if i were you, the laws, though nececcary and benificial
    are sometimes quirky. as far as the shad question, ive looked high and low and never found them in a shop. they may be too difficult to keep alive for extended periods.??

Post Thanks / Like

>Never mind on this question. I talked to Fred McClintock
    >just a few minutes ago and he said the section from the dam to
    >Burkesville is as dangerous as it gets, especially in the fall
    >with no water. No way I am going to chance it and besides the
    >fish he is catching is currently all around Old hickory and he
    >will not be fishing above Burkesville any more this year.
    >

Just wondering what is so dangerous about the Cumberland River from the dam to Burksville? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! Trout are illegal to use as bait as are any other "sport fish." I was told this by a fish and wildlife employee. He told me a funny story about a guy fishing down @ Wolf Creek by the dam that had caught a couple of nice stripers. When the game warden asked him what he was catching them on, he replied, "rainbow trout." The game warden said that he was sorry to hear that and that he was going to have to fine him. Then the guy reeled in his line and showed the warden his "rainbow trout" swimbait and they both had a good laugh and of course no fines were issued. So as far as the trout go, I have been told that they are not to be used as bait.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont think you can buy shad either, you can catch them and use them yourself.but not sell in Ky.

Rowdy

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been on the river but heard that this section was bad due to several areas that are very shallow, especially in the fall and especially when there has not been much rain. Both of these cases will be in effect this year and Fred validated this notion when he said that if I didn't know the river very well I could get myself in trouble.

Post Thanks / Like

I was there Saturday with Randall Gibson. We caught one striper and about 25 trout--biggest 5.5 lb rainbow. Had several giant browns chase a jerk bait. He fishes the river year round, and I plan on going again soon. :7

Post Thanks / Like

HHKY - Since reading your post about catching striper AND trout I was wondering...

1. Were you all fishing for striper and caught some trout in the process? 2. Were you all fishing or trout and caught a striper in the process? or 3. Did you all mix it up bu fishing for striper for morning and trout in the afternoon?

Post Thanks / Like

chubminnow: first 7 hours--striper;last hour, trout. He fishes for whatever you want to catch. HH

Post Thanks / Like

what were the trout hitting on?? Might be going this weekend so just wondering

Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing wrong with the river.
    Fishing on that end of the river is good right now. Check with Strange Bait and Tackle. Due to the lake being held at lower than normal levels the current has been extremely steady and the river is very safe at this time. No big fluctuations. Fred is an excellent guide but he lives and works in Tennessee.
    Jim Dicken