Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ky Lake this past weekend (10/13 - 10/15)

Hey.....

I did manage to make it to KY and Barkley lake this past weekend. I didn't take my boat, because only 2 of us went, and BassMan30 has a boat.

Couple things......

First, how did everyone do.......We managed to catch 20-30 in 4 hours on Friday, caught about 10-15 on Saturday, with a 3lb and 5.8lb largemouth as big fish. All these fish were caught at Barkley below the bridge.

At about 2:00pm on Saturday, we headed to KY lake. We fished Sugar, and some of those areas, managing to catch ZERO fish.

Sunday we headed back to Barkley, where the fishing was TOUGH. We still managed to catch some fish, but only a few...I don't believe we caught anything over 1-2 lbs, and probably less than 10 ALL day.

Here's some things I learned:

Barkley is DANGEROUS if you don't know the lake. My buddy has been fishing there for a while, and knows his way around pretty good. I think if you're careful, you can be OK, but you definitely better pay attention, and keep a map handy. In most parts where we were fishing, the channel was marked pretty good.

Even before the fog lifted, you could hear boats buzzing up and down the lake. And I'm not talking SLOWLY....they were full tilt boogie, in the BLIND. Around Fords, we saw a REALLY nice boat BEACHED.....right in the middle of the lake....oops.

I don't know why, but Barkley managed to be MUCH better for fishing for us. Maybe my friends spots are better on Barkley, but at any rate, it was a pretty good time.

If you haven't had the 2 inch pork chop at Patti's or the 22oz Buffalo Steak at the Brass Lantern, you DON'T know what you're missing. Those were simply GREAT.

I'm headed back down this weekend......I hope to get on a little better bite....

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Ky Lake this past weekend (10/13 - 10/15)

George,

I'm glad you had a good time down on the Western KY wonders!!!

I think Barkley is better this time of year too, probably because I can't catch keepers this time of year on KY!! LOL I don't know if it is only because the water is usually dingier and maybe the fish school more quickly.

I too got to try something new. I visited Rough River for the first time on Sunday. I got DEW, aka Darrell, to be my guide.... no tip there LMAO!!!!!!

We found the water fairly clear in most places, a little dingy in some, overall color of green. Fishing was very tough. We worked many of his spots that always produce with no luck. We did catch a few, maybe could have even put together a limit, but the fish were really biting in a very funny way. I've never even experienced this type of bite before. The fish would hit our crankbaits, and I mean fight, really fight, then just be gone. I got one slot fish that really took the bait, but the best "big" fish must have just slapped at my bait, because he was hooked on the outside of the mouth. No real size caught... one about 2.5 came loose right at the boat. We could see it clearly, and it was just barely hooked on the back hook, one point only.

We didn't find fish back in the creeks, but on rock cover out on the main lake.

BTW, the launch ramp was full when we got there... the state ramp, and it was a club from Indianapolis. We talked to a couple of fishermen who said 2 lbs were leading after Saturday. So apparently it was tough on Saturday too.

Again George, glad you had a good time, and I agree with you on the "eats"!!!

Tight lines and God Bless

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Ky Lake this past weekend (10/13 - 10/15)

I went to Rough earlier last week and the bite was extremely tough for me as well. When I arrived some of the parking lot at the State Ramp was still under water. All I managed was two fish all day. One was 14" and the other was 6 lbs on a main lake bluff. The bite is unsually tuff for this time of year at Rough. Hopefully they get the lake back down to where it needs to be because Rough is my favorite lake to fish in the fall. How was the water level this past weekend???

Post Thanks / Like

Rough was down again....

Rough River Lake was down, and the ramps and docks were usable. It definately appeared they were pulling the lake really hard. It appeared at the dock that the lake had dropped about 8 inches during our fishing trip that was only about 7 hours in duration. In fact, it was clear even way back in the creeks. We were way back in one creek where it was clear that there were no boat wakes, yet you could see where the rocks were clearly wet several inches above the water level.

We didn't catch any fish near 6 lbs like you did, but we did get more numbers... most came later in the day though.

Tight lines and God Bless

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Rough was down again....

This is good to hear. Hope they get it down to were it needs to be quickly. When I was there 10-10-06 the water was still in the parking lot at the state ramp.