Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio River near Louisville - guides?

Hello, I live in Louisville and am about 3-4 miles away from the boat launch at Cox's park. I mainly fish trout rivers like the Dix, Cumberland, and some places in TN, but my time has been restricted recently and I feel it's a shame to ignore the Ohio River virtually in my own backyard.

But, I don't know anything about fishing it - where, how, when, etc.

Are there guides on this section of the river? I see Captain Chip Mertens is listed on fishin.com, but his webpage doesn't work and I'm not sure of his contact info or if he's still guiding.

I'd be real interested in learning about hybrids and stripers and opportunities for them. (Oh yeah, and I suppose a giant catfish now and again wouldn't be bad :7 )

Thanks for any tips.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Ohio River near Louisville - guides?

Contact Doug Meyer (onemorecast) He is probably as familiar with the river as anybody on here and can probably put you on some fish. I don't know if he guides, but it's worth a try. He's also a good guy. I fished with him at a private lake this past Saturday. Doug if your read this Chime in !

Post Thanks / Like

I did a google search on Chip... here is a site that gives his address, phone, and email... good luck

http://www.ultimatefishingsite.net/s...y/g_fatal.html

Tight lines and God Bless

Danny

Post Thanks / Like

Yea doug definutely knows that river and is a helluva guy.i beleive he still guides?if you get a chance to hook up with him dont pass it up.john

onemorecast56 Guest

Hey ALB, I don`t much guideing anymore but if you want to learn the river some I`d be glad to take ya out. It`s coming up a killer time of yr with the sauger and walleye and stripers in between. The best time is coming if ya can stand the cold. I know my way around the river so if ya want to go let me know.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Onemorecast - Hey, I'd be interested in hooking up with you sometime. I'm not sure where you usually put in at but I live in the Louisville area and would be willing to meet up with you somewhere and split expenses as long as scheduling (family/work) would allow me to.

My email is tlcaudill@insightbb.com

Post Thanks / Like

All these Lies about Doug.....

Proves that a "Fisherman" will stretch the truth. All this about Doug is a helluva nice guy and stuff, are you kidding me. Come on Doug, how much did you pay these guys to say this stuff? What did you do, call them and ask them to post nice things about you for free work on their boat or something? Just kidding, Doug is a nice guy and so nice that I want some of this Cold Striper River action as well. I may even post something nice about you after our trip for you have told me about those 50-100 fish days enough to get my interest up a little.

onemorecast56 Guest

RE: All these Lies about Doug.....

Ok Elwood, I`ve read your post on yopur Cumberland trip,,,,what a loser...LOL I`m just waiting on you all useing up your gas and time till the stripers are up.....LOL Lies!mmmBoy you guys are hard on me. I`ll hollor at ya when the sauger and stripers are jumping in the boat,,,,just anout 3 weeks I figure then it`ll be on for the whole winter.....oooooh the bestest time. I hope ya show up for the FNF get togather. Then I`ll show what a old slow pititful ex guide and a blind man can do...TEE HEE. Thanks you all for the nice words on my behalf.

Doug
    502-543-7787

Post Thanks / Like

RE: All these Lies about Doug.....

Certainly not the first trip to the lake that produced very few, heck most of the time nothing is caught at all. Certainly will not be the last trip to the lake for futal results either. But that is all about to change for YOU HAVE NO SHOT, AND I MEAN NO SHOT OF MAKING IT THRU THIS WINTER TO CATCH ALL THOSE FISH BY YOURSELF. I WILL BE MAKING A TRIP TO LOUISVILLE AND YOU WILL BE GOING WITH ME TO PUT ME ON THESE FISH IF I HAVE TO DRAG YOU KICKING AND SCREAMING ALL THE WAY FROM YOUR HOUSE TO DO IT. I even offer to buy your breakfast on the way to the river, pack you a nice lunch, and get you a good dinner on the way back to the house for a chance to catch a 100 a day. You will have to do a lot to exceed December 9, 2005 at Dale Hollow, launched with air temp at 14 degrees wind chill -2, drove from Holly Creek to Sulphur Creek and landed 9 smallies all between 3 pounds and 6-2 in less than 3 hours. Right at the top of the list as far as 3 hours of fishing goes, even better than catching Stripers in the jumps for almost an hour and a half last year at Cumberland.

Post Thanks / Like

Cpt Chip is my Dad. He still does some guide trips too. His number is (502) 724-1241. Guaranteed to have a fun day.

Shawn