Search Fishin.com

Thread: GPS Unit

Post Thanks / Like

GPS Unit

I'm thinking about purchasing the LMS-332C or the LMS-334C. I was wondering if you guys prefer the Internal Antenna or not. What are the pros and cons.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: GPS Unit

it depends on where you're going to mount it. if you're mounting it in the dash the 334 won't pick up because the antenna will be blocked. i have a 332c mounted next to the console and picks up really well pretty much everywhere. that's the only i can tell you about them though.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to BPS yesterday to inquire about these units. I was told that the one with the internal unit was good enough for my boat, although I did not think to ask about mounting it into the dash. The salesman told me that a lot of the pros use it but they tend to use it laying flat and the unit would loose its signal. He said as long as it was mounted in the bracket it would work just fine. I asked about the hummingbird units with GPS and they use a mapping system which just shows the contour lines where the lowrance unit uses a mapping system that shows the old river bed and bldgs and such. I do know that lowrance is coming out with a new model for next year and the older ones should be going on sale to make room for the new ones. The map disk cost about 100 dollars for each region. I hope this helps you out on your question. I am still debating on when to buy one for myself. My wife agreed to get it for me so I may have to hurry before I do something to make her mad and have to wait until next year.

Barry Guest

I got the 334c when they first came out. I didn't like the unit, it would lose the signal way too much for me. I returned it and got a 332c and it hardly ever drops a signal. Hope this helps...

Post Thanks / Like

I DON'T KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP OR NOT, BUT I MOUNTED MY GPS ON THE
    CONSOLE LIKE DPAGE70 DID, IT DOES WORK JUST FINE. BUT I HAVE JUST USED
    IT ON BARKLEY AND KENTUCKY LAKE. I HAVE AN OLDER MODLE, IT IS THE
    LMS-480-GPS. IT SOUNDS LIKE THE LMS-332C WOULD BE VERY GOOD. I HAVE
    HAD FRIENDS SAY THEY REALLY LIKED THAT MODEL.
    BUDDYP - I'D RATHER BE FISHING.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the external antenna on mine and I like it. the only time i've lost signal is in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay I do not have a Chart plotter type GPS I will tell you this up front. I do have a handheld Garmin which does about everything I need. I have however had more experience with GPS than most people. I have used survey grade GPS since 1991 and the secret to GPS has been and still is a clear line of sight from the satellites to the antenna. So the higher and more open you can get an antenna the better your stored locations will be and the better information you will receive period. The external antenna will be my choice if I do decide to get one for the simple reason I can mount it higher and reduce multi-path (signal reflection) the major cause of bad locations.

Plus I have said this before and most people laugh at me I would suggest you never use a GPS no matter what kind it is or how much it cost for it to be you sole mean of navigation. They can, for a number of reasons, miscalculate their positions at any given time and be a few feet to a hundred yards off. So everyone, please be careful how you use them.

Post Thanks / Like

Ebay has the region chips close to the 50.00 mark. Also check there for your GPS. I just got my Lowrance 111C HD off ebay and saved a TON. Brand new in box with all the warranty. Just be careful of who you buy from. Don't send a money order to anyone. If you need help finding one let me know.