Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone catching ky river walleye, sauger, whitebass??

Like it says, I'd like to go Sunday and try to get into some whites or walleye/sauger under one of the dams. Is the water still rolling? Are you catching any? Thanks, Ted

Post Thanks / Like

RE: anyone catching ky river walleye, sauger, whitebass??

The river is still up and muddy. Go to http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ky/nwis/rt and you can pull up the flow and height of the river. It is presently holding at 16 ft at Highbridge.

Post Thanks / Like

I really enjoy reading the post on these discussion boards. I am fairly new at fishing as a whole. Right now a friend and I go below Wolf Creek Dam to trout fish. We have a blast, but I would like to know more about walleye and sauger fishing (especially on the KY River). I am interested in how you fish for them. Like I said, I am new to a lot of fishing but eager to learn. Do you use spoons, and if you do how do you use them properly. I have also been looking at trying to get up behind Dix Dam and see if I could do any good at the trout there. It is a whole lot closer to my house than the Cumberland River. How do I get behind the dam, Wilmore? Thanks, enjoy the discussions.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do a search on "Kentucky River Sauger" you will see the posts already posted on this subject. Bonefish

Post Thanks / Like

The Dix is a great place to fish. It's an all day adventure getting up to the dam but it's worth it. You will be putting in on the Ky river at High Bridge, there is a small sometimes quite muddy ramp there and a pay for partking area. From there, the dix is just a half mile up river. In a powered boat, you will be able to proceed up the dix river until it gets quite shallow and an area of shallow rapids will stop you in your tracks. The best fishing and the dam is beyound that point. Park your bass boat here and fish the rapids for trout, don't even think about driving up the whitewater. If you are in a canoe, drag the thing over the gravel bar and keep heading up river. If you came up in a small joh boat you may be able to pull it up through the rapids but I wouldn't reccomend it. You are now a short distance from the dam and the trout will be plentyfull, though not very big. No live bait is permittd so stick with small spoons and spiners or flies. Small green mepps spinners will get the job done. Good news is that the trip back to your car is much faster with the current working for you. I like to just drift with the current and cast the tree roots for bass on the way back down.

Enjoy, that water is cooooold all year. Might want to pack some dry clothes in a waterproof bag just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

Like my other post said, I am new to this type of fishing and here are some questions I have. Is it to early to catch sauger on the ky river? What I was doing today, was getting where the ky and dix meet and casting a small 1/8 oz. spoon, letting it hit the bottom and jig it back in. The only thing I caught was a small crappie. Also can you fish around the lock with it being private property? With the water moving as fast as it was it looked scary around the lock. Would they even be there? Any input would help. Thanks. :-)

Post Thanks / Like

below dams and locks are good as it gets for me no2 deep holes below stong curret. walleye and sauger seem to like stong curret had some nice fish last winter 2 walleyes over 8lb.more sauger then eyes.sauger 10in 20in out of licking river

Post Thanks / Like

Hazel, I fish under the dam there at lock 7 alot, you can't fish off of the walls, you'll get a ticket for trespassing quick. You can go down the bank and fish all up and down it. I normally take my canoe and fish the other bank on the back end of the wash hole. Give me a yell if you want to go sometime, I'll start hitting it again once deer season is over. e-mail me at tedd47@iwon.com

Ted

Post Thanks / Like

Tube,
    What part of the Licking River are you fishing for sauger and walleye?
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

alrighty everyone. lock five in lawenceburg has good whites. now i have not been down there for a couple of months due to the traffic but big walleyes start comin here soon. saugers to. jim sea food in frankfort white bass on almost every cast but nothin huge. now don't know about walleyes. however i'm wantin to hit up lock five an the lock smith an the farm u drive through gave me the right a way so anyone interested lets talk when the river flow slows. i heard huge crappie there so i'm thinkin about it.

Post Thanks / Like

below cave run dam

Post Thanks / Like

Tube-what's the best way to fish for them below Cave Run dam? I've fished there some, drifting minnows and jigs but mainly caught crappie and trout with a few musky thrown in to keep things honest. I don't think I'm getting down far enough for walleye and sauger. How do you do it?