Search Fishin.com

Thread: Catfish?

Post Thanks / Like

Catfish?

Does anyone know of any good catfish bites at this time of year? I'm looking for numbers more importantly than size. Also, any techniques types of water to fish (depths, etc.)?

I just kind of got into catfishing this summer and wondered how it differed in the winter.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Catfish?

We fish the Ohio river for blue cats this time of year. We use fresh cut shad that we catch with throw nets in the creeks and marinas. The best spots to fish are ledges and current breaks next to deeper water. The bite is slower, but the fish are bigger. Oh yea, if you live near a warm water discharge, they can be loaded with fish during the winter.

onemorecast56 Guest

yes sir,,,i live near 3 in louisville, catch hundreds of stripers a trip,,,you`d have a blast at the warm water discharges

Post Thanks / Like

How big are those stripers? That would be a blast! :7

Post Thanks / Like

hey. beaver lake less than a month ago u couldn't keep chicken liver on a hook. i thought maybe it was a fluke went back the next day an same result although ur hands will be cold an this bite happen right after dark.so get ready to get cold.

onemorecast56 Guest

well the stripers was running from a pound to 9-10,,,,most was the pure rocks,,,they are really doing good in the river. You never know what your going to catch at the discharges

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

I bass fish and crappie fish with a guy that is the best cat fisherman that I have ever known. He has won several catfish tournaments including a cabelas catfish tournament, and I do not know if you know who Phil King is, but from what i hear he is the bill dance of cat fishin, and this guy I know has beat Phil King on his home waters a few times. His name is Rob Benningfield. He lives in bowlinggreen, ky but he has family that lives in louisville, so he is in louisville a lot. You can call him at (502) 551-7523. He would probably give you some info or be willing to take you out on a guided trip. He ususally fishes the Ohio River and has cought many catfish over 60lbs. Hope this hels. Brian Moore

Post Thanks / Like

Gurl, try "hookedoncatfish.com".