Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cumberland River Stripers

I have been hearing stories about the Cumberland River giving up some big stripers. Can I put in there at the dam (Kendall I think is the rec area)and be in the right area or do I need to go on down river and put in, oh say Burkesville? Also, is the area below the dam a good place to catch bait. I know there is a law about cast nets within a certain distance of a dam but I have read about people neting bait below the dam, anybody do it? I've heard some stories about long handled dip nets just used to scoop shad.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Cumberland River Stripers

ok i see no one has written so i will say yes you can catch stripers from time to time right behind the dam but not very often that i have seen. You also will have to really wait until spring to have a good shot at catching one in the river in KY. On the question with the castnet, you can only use a net in crocus creek and marrowbone creek and you have to go up past the first riffle. Also the net can only have a 1" mesh or you can get in trouble for that too. I actually had randall gibson tell me i could not even have a cast net in my boat behind the dam and i was using a dip net to get shad off the wing dam one day and he said i could get in trouble for that too but i think he was just pushing a little on that. So in Ky the spring and summer and early fall are much better for you to get a striper. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply, I talked to a former Fish and Wildlife Officer who told me that due to the stocking of trout near the dam they get a little upset about people with nets there. I've always fished the lake for stripers but was thinking about trying the river. There must not be must interest in it due to the lack of replies.

Thanks again

JBehr Guest

Both areas can be good, but I have not personally been down there this year. Check the reports on the Fishing Reports page or call/visit Strange's Bait and Tackle in Burksville. Several guides frequent his shop and he keeps up with the bite info as well as anyone. If there is a heavy discharge, then the ramp by the dam can be dangerous to launch. Also, if the discharge is shut down, it can be hard to reload. Good luck.

Joe