Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

My Congrats to 3sons...

Mike caught his first keeper Smallie, over 21", Thursday before he left Dale Hollow. He sent me a very nice picture that someone at the ramp took of him with it before he let the big girl go. Congrats Mike, for you did good.

Post Thanks / Like

RE: My Congrats to 3sons...

Thanks Woody,

Caught her on one of the spots you put me on to. I'm also glad I asked for the lesson on how to land a nice fish with 10' of leader. It worked like a charm! Thanks again for the tips!

Post Thanks / Like

How do you land one that big by yourself with a ten foot leader?

Congrats on the nice fish!:-)

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to know that myself. Last February I had 2 fish on over 6lb. Wore them down and both fish came up laying on there sides about 15ft from the boat and even with pressure on them they both did a small flop and came unbuttoned. Break your heart. So please let us know.

Post Thanks / Like

This is exactly what you do to land a fish with a 10 foot leader up to a 12 foot leader and a 36" Stalker Rubber net. I am considering buying a 48" Stalker Rubber Net that will probably let me land one with a 14' leader but for now I hand line these to the net at the end of the fight after laying down the rod.

First of all, do not try to net the fish before its time. 99% of the time when the fish hits the FNF jig they will ambush it from behind and if you get a good hookset the point of that hook will bury in the roof of its mouth. A good net job starts with the hookset. The roof is the hardest part of the mouth and if penetrated past the barb, she is hooked and not going anywhere. Play the fish out until she is ready to be netted. I set the hook with a tight drag to insure there is no slippage of the drag on the hookset then loosen the drag IMMEDIATELY to insure they do not break off. Only after I know the fish is a smaller fish do I tighten up the drag and get her to the boat so I can spend more time chasing the big ones. If it is a bigger fish I will loosen the drag even more the closer she gets to the boat for she will make that run the second she sees the boat and usually my ugly face so be prepared. The best fighters are the 3-4 pounders and will jump and flop all over the place so a loose drag will protect against the fast bursts of breaking you off. Once the fish is played out and has seen the boat a couple of times, then did that deep run to get away from the boat a couple of times, then it is time to land her. I get down off the top deck to the middle of the boat or lowest point of the boat to the water. This makes me that much closer to the water. I put the rod in my right hand, reel the bobber to within about 6 inches to the tip of my rod - NEVER REEL THE BOBBER ALL THE WAY TO THE TIP, hold my hand way above my head so the rod is facing the opposite direction but it is bent back towards the water, and guide her into the net. I do not stab the net at the fish, but guide the fish into the net. There you have it one landed GIANT. I have lost very few fish doing it this way and none all last year or this year with this landing method. My buddy Henson, Rob and Mike have all been in the boat and saw me do it first hand with no problem. Came in handy for Mike last week as he landed his first keeper by himself. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Elwood do I read you right you can land most fish up to 12" leader with rod in hand any leader longer than 12" you hand line them when they are wore out?--- This is with your net handle of 36".

Elwood you’re the man I’m glad to got to meet you Friday night and see your photos. You have paid your dues and I really appreciate your willingness to help the rest of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, you are reading it correctly. I hope I explain this part so all will understand, I am not facing the fish when I do this, I turn my body so I am standing sideways with the net in my left hand and the rod is in my right hand, up over my head, arm fully extended with the rod pointing in the 2 o'clock position but with the rod being bent back over my head and over my left shoulder, the rod tip is still a good 8-9 feet above the water so you add 3 foot net handle to the 8-9 feet you are above the water you get 11-12 feet, which is the length of you leader so presto, big mamma landed. A 10-11 foot leader is really no problem at all. The 12 foot leader is a real stretch for my right arm is all the way extended to the 2 o'clock position to the sky and my left arm is extended all the way to the 7 o'clock position towards the water, but it will work and have done it many many times. I am 6' even tall so a taller man will actually gain some inches on his ability and a shorter man will lose some. Good Luck