Search Fishin.com

Thread: Wolf Creek dam

Post Thanks / Like

Wolf Creek dam

Have heard that wolf creek dam may be in worse shape than was origianlly reported. Talking with a game warden from a neighboring co and he told us this is why construction was halted oat halcombs landing on the new ramp. Does any one have any info as far as the condition of the dam?

Post Thanks / Like

RE: Wolf Creek dam

That statement really makes no sense to me.

I thought the whole poupose behind building the new ramp was because the Halcoms Landing area was going to be turned into a concret mixing area and a place for all the heavy equipment to park.

If the leak was worse that they thought I would think they would speed up on the new ramp instead of coming to a hault.

R19

Post Thanks / Like

Well the reason i was told from this fish and game official is that the blasting for the new parking lot was causing the problems on the dam to worsen. Just wondering if anyone out there has any info? i can't see them stopping constructon without a good reason

Post Thanks / Like

Put in today at the dam, only 1 1/2 lanes on the ramp were usable. If they keep drawing it down it is going to be very rough getting the boat in and out. Guess I need to give up on the stripers and go to Dale for the float n fly. I went over to the dock at Beaver Creek to check on my dad's boat and the slips in the rear of the marina were cut off by cables and a large rock just under the surface of the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes they were using dynimate to blast off the hillside. I was thinking that would not be safe to use only a 100-200 yards away from a dam that had a leak. I dont know why they stopped. I was there back in the summer and work on the new ramp was in full swing. Fri was the first time I had been there in a while and I saw nobody working on the hillside.

As for the low water and ramp useage...last winter they had the water lower than what it is now and there was still plenty of ramp left. At the lower water level they had last winter when you unloded you could still see the ramp extending down into the gin clear water. That ramp has 4 lanes only the 2 closeset to the dam are useable at low levels.

R19

Post Thanks / Like

Check out www.lakecumberland.com under the lake area news. The mod there posts alot of info on the dam reair. I have not read anything about the blasting causing problems.